Preview web search query

• 2 years later...

I have the same question.

I just bought Alfred with the mega Powerpack for  a big 65 USD  looking at the positive users reviews. Right now I feel either not as smart as the average user, or having bought a different tool!. Alfred was supposed to make my life easier..... not the case so far, starting with registering to this forum , there is a frustrating and time consuming game on answering MAC to the platform question (not OXC, not MAC OSX, not Catalina)...realy was that done with the user in mind....nowhere else have I seen this.

I bought the powermac thinking that my google search would preview rigth on Alfred...instead of opening a webbrowser...not sure what's the value of writing a request on Alfred instead of on a webbrowser. I am realy hopping that websearchs can be previewed directly in Alfred without opening a browser. 

is there a way to type "Paris" and have a preview of google first reply for "Paris" ?  or is Alfred just a search URL formatting to open safari with a search for Paris?

You can’t view Google search results in Alfred because Google strictly forbids that (unless you pay quite a lot of money—around a couple of dollars per user per day). You can view search suggestions, and use Alfred’s Quicklook feature to preview the webpage of results (depending on the workflow you’re using).

There are a few workflows that also show Google search results directly in Alfred, but these tend to break very often because Google takes measures to deliberately break them.

The bottom line is that basically every search engine specifically forbids the scraping of their search results and also makes it difficult to do. Unless you sign up for expensive API access.

1 hour ago, loscar said:

or is Alfred just a search URL formatting to open safari with a search for Paris?

That is what Alfred's built-in Web Searches do, yes.

Or you could use a workflow like Searchio!, which can show search suggestions (and in some cases, results) from many search engines directly in Alfred.