Move file action is always copying instead of moving

Hello,

last weekend I did a complete clean install of my Mac and took the opportunity to completely start fresh with Alfred (Took the trash out from many years of workflow editing stuff and so on). I love Alfreds file actions and one of the main actions I do is moving files around. But since the fresh install of Sierra and the latest version of Alfred (everything is on default, just added two workflows) every "Move to.." file action copies the file to the destination instead of moving it.

Is that a bug or do I have to flip a switch somewhere to move stuff around instead of coping?

The only mention of this I could find is from 2013/2014: 

Regards,

Brian

Is the destination on the same partition as the source?

17 minutes ago, BrianDoh said:

Is that a bug or do I have to flip a switch somewhere to move stuff around instead of coping?

AFAIK, Alfred's behaviour hasn't changed, and it still asks Finder to perform the move. So if you "move" a file to a different partition or drive, it will be copied, not moved.

Certainly, that's how it still behaves on my system.

Thank you for your reply. You are right, if it's coping instead of moving the destination is the external harddrive. But I am sure before the clean install it moved the files every time no matter where (I move a lot of files from my desktop to this external harddrive). I will try to create a workflow to replace the default move file action with my own.

37 minutes ago, BrianDoh said:

I will try to create a workflow to replace the default move file action with my own.

TBH, I'd submit a bug report. Alfred has both Move and Copy actions, and they should actually do what they say they do.

This has come up before (I distinctly remember posting before that "Move" should mean "move", not "sometimes copy, sometimes move"), but I can't find the thread right now.

Edited by deanishe
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Does this work when moving to a different volume? Also, drag & drop can be laborious, so I'd much prefer something like cut & paste on Windows. Which is, why I really like the Alfred file actions. It does that and much more. But not across volumes. I guess when you're on Mac, there is no way around the patronising Apple way...