Help navigating to the correct folder

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out how to better get to a folder i access frequently - i am having trouble because I have similarly named folders and would love some advice.

Here is an example of the [NAME] that I am trying to get to... 

~/Google Drive/Current/New York

I also have a ton of similarly named folders because of how i organize my photography...

~/Pictures/New York (03.04.18)

~/Pictures/New York (05.06.17)

etc...etc...

I want to get to that folder in google drive but all of the results in alfred are populated with picture folders... how can i utilize alfred to get to the "New York" folder when I want and the "New York (date)" folders in the pictures when I want?

Hi @alfreduserdude. Welcome to the forum.

Alfred will quickly learn to associate certain results with certain queries, so if you enter "new" or "ny" a few times and select the same folder, that folder should always be at the top.

Unfortunately, that rapidly breaks down if you regularly select different results for the same query.

Currently, your best bet is probably to use different queries for the different folders, say "ny" for your ~/Google Drive/Current/New York folder and "new" for the others.

You can also assign Spotlight keywords to files and folders, which Alfred will also find.

4 hours ago, deanishe said:

Hi @alfreduserdude. Welcome to the forum.

Alfred will quickly learn to associate certain results with certain queries, so if you enter "new" or "ny" a few times and select the same folder, that folder should always be at the top.

Unfortunately, that rapidly breaks down if you regularly select different results for the same query.

Currently, your best bet is probably to use different queries for the different folders, say "ny" for your ~/Google Drive/Current/New York folder and "new" for the others.

You can also assign Spotlight keywords to files and folders, which Alfred will also find.

Unfortunately - the Google Drive folder doesn't even show up in the list of options - so that's why i'm on here asking. I like the idea of using different queires (eg ... NY for the drive) ... how do i train alfred to pick up the google drive folder when i type in "NY"?

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

If you know the full path it might be quicker to just type: ~ gd <Enter> curr <Enter> ny

Okay - so can you elaborate here a little bit - when I type ~/ in Alfred, my results immediately switch to search Google, Amazon, and Wikipedia commands.?

10 minutes ago, alfreduserdude said:

Unfortunately - the Google Drive folder doesn't even show up in the list of options

Yeah, Alfred isn't so great when it comes to folders. It shows the most-recently used folders first, and only a limited number of results. Try opening the folder in Finder (to make it recently used), and then search in Alfred again. Choose the folder a couple of times to make Alfred remember it.

15 minutes ago, alfreduserdude said:

Okay - so can you elaborate here a little bit

Just type ~ and Alfred should show you the contents of your home folder. That's the default "keyword". See if you've changed it in Alfred Preferences > Features > File Search > Advanced > Home Folder.

23 minutes ago, deanishe said:

Yeah, Alfred isn't so great when it comes to folders. It shows the most-recently used folders first, and only a limited number of results. Try opening the folder in Finder (to make it recently used), and then search in Alfred again. Choose the folder a couple of times to make Alfred remember it.

Just type ~ and Alfred should show you the contents of your home folder. That's the default "keyword". See if you've changed it in Alfred Preferences > Features > File Search > Advanced > Home Folder.

okay so sadly  - i've opened up the folder in finder and then tried that a few times and no dice. I've attached a couple of screenshots - one is what it looks like when i start the query with ~ and the file search settings. Thanks so much for your help here ?

Perhaps something needs to be tweaked in my settings?

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 9.39.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 9.47.31 AM.png

Edited by alfreduserdude
6 minutes ago, deanishe said:

Like I said, choose that folder a few times for the query "my".

Right, but how do I do that? If I type in NY i do not have the option of controlling what's displayed and that is not among the options. If I type "NY" doesn't the NY have to be in the folder name? If it isn't how do I get it to display.