Launching apps but missing first character

Hi, when I launch alfred and start typing to get an app, I often find it doesnt catch the first character I type. So I look up to see 'hotoshop' instead of 'photoshop'

Is this a bug in Alfred that it sometimes misses the first character? And/or is there a way to get it to search for apps without requiring all the letters to match?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi @andrewsleigh and welcome to the forum!

Could you please let me know what your Alfred hotkey is set to, and whether you're on High Sierra? If it's Cmd + Space, it's likely that Siri on High Sierra is interfering with it.

In the System Preferences for Siri, disable holding Cmd for Siri, as this is the most likely culprit. You can also check that in the Spotlight preferences, Cmd + Space isn't re-set for Spotlight and interfering.

[Edited to add: And of course, make sure you're on the latest Alfred version (3.6.1 at this time) for full High Sierra compatibility.]

Let me know if the above resolves the issue for you :)

Cheers,
Vero

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This behavior has been happening to me as well. It might be a system preferences/modifier key problem - when I use ⌘+L in firefox to place the cursor in the address bar, I often lose the first character or two of what I type next, if I type quickly.

This behavior is most noticeabled on Alfred, because I use it constantly, but it might not be an Alfred bug.

If anyone else figures out the problem, even if it's not with Alfred, might you add solution?