Search Mail.app Workflow

The Workflow sure works great for me, but I'm trying to understand your approach (and create other workflows on the same idea for other e-mail clients).

Why use a script at all? Can the same thing be done with a filter?

You can limit the scope to ~/Library/Mail/V2 and use the kMDItemAuthorEmailAddresses, kMDItemAuthors and kMDItemSubject metadata fields.

What's wrong with that approach?

I'm unsure how it all works, because I've ran into a few things I couldn't figure out when I tried (eg: using kMDItemContentType didn't seem to make any difference at all, that's why I eventually had to resort to limiting the scope).

Corentin

Correct, the same thing could be done with a filter but you cant format the way it is shown. I made an extension for Alfred v1 that did this very same thing with a filter. It would show the subject of the email as the title but would only show the file path as the subtext. By using a script filter I can make it show other useful information. I can make the subtext show who the email is from and other data as well.

Would it be possible to write this to work for something like PostBox?

Sorry man I must have missed this question in the past. It may be possible. It would depend on how messages are stored with Postbox.  It seems like I checked into this before and it wasn't easily possible. I'll take a look again though.

Correct, the same thing could be done with a filter but you cant format the way it is shown. I made an extension for Alfred v1 that did this very same thing with a filter. It would show the subject of the email as the title but would only show the file path as the subtext. By using a script filter I can make it show other useful information. I can make the subtext show who the email is from and other data as well.

I see. Thanks a million for the clarification. It makes a lot of sense!

Corentin

I found a new issue…

I performed a search on my own name and noticed that there is a problem with accent encoding in the results.

The From field displayed “Corentin Cras-Me\U0301neur” for my name. It failed to parse e\U0301 as é.

Corentin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a great workflow! Thanks!

Would it be possible to a) show all unread emails right after entering a keyword and B) reply to email meaning that I select an email and Mail.app open a window where I can write my reply to an email. Together, these two features would be pretty awesome!

This is a great workflow! Thanks!

Would it be possible to a) show all unread emails right after entering a keyword and B) reply to email meaning that I select an email and Mail.app open a window where I can write my reply to an email. Together, these two features would be pretty awesome!

I need to go back and look at this workflow and see if I can add some additional functionality. This is one of the first workflows I created and could probably be tweaked a good bit from what it originally was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...