SandwichTimer — Run pomodoros and other timers

This workflow is officially deprecated in favour of Shrieking Chimes.

Control SandwichTimer from Alfred, to run pomodoros and timers. If you don’t have the app installed, invoke :sandwichtimerupdateapp to get the latest version. See the linked page for screenshots of the app in action.

Call pomo or set a keyboard shortcut to start a pomodoro timer. If another is already running, it’ll be aborted.

timer will let you set as many timers as you want, for the specified amount of time. Text after the number of minutes will be used as the timer’s title.

With both options, actioning with ⌥ will quit all instances of the SandwichTimer app.

• 1 year later...

@vitor I was thinking about replacing my current pomodoro timer with another tool that was a little more Alfred-friendly, when I came across your workflow. This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

One quick question: Does your workflow tell you how much time is left on the timer?

It doesn't look like it does, but I just wanted to make sure. From what I can tell from the app's GitHub page, it doesn't look like it's possible to either.

Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, Jasondm007 said:

Does your workflow tell you how much time is left on the timer?

Yes, on the status bar. That’s what the two top screenshots are. Only the minutes (on purpose, I don’t intend to change that — it’s the second most important feature, only behind being invocable via CLI).

Unfortunately, it can no longer keep the notification open with those two options, because somewhere on the Electron/macOS stack they’ve stop allowing that for unsigned apps, and I can’t justify the $99 to do it.

11 hours ago, Jasondm007 said:

Is it possible to view the remaining time from Alfred, too - or is it status bar only?

Just the status bar. The Workflow is just a convenient interface to deal with the app. The app does everything.

My fav timer app because it keeps making a sound, and so it's particular useful when you've left your computer and just come back 😄 

An added ability to write down a timer name or reminder would be amazing! (I normally use this when cooking, so it'd be great to write 'take out the vegetables' lol

On 7/5/2019 at 8:49 AM, CuteCat said:

My fav timer app because it keeps making a sound, and so it's particular useful when you've left your computer and just come back

Do take into account the app respects Do Not Disturb, so it won’t warn if that is on. I’m thinking of adding an exception for timers, as those can be dangerous if unchecked. I’m unlikely to do so anytime soon, because without being able to sign the app and have better notifications (like it used to), I’m less motivated to work on it.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:49 AM, CuteCat said:

An added ability to write down a timer name or reminder would be amazing!

Possible but unlikely (see above).

Bottom line, unless I:

• Am offered an Apple Developer account for free. Unlikely to ever happen.
  • Make an app for macOS or iOS I want to sell. Unlikely to happen soon or ever, since I’m crap at promoting myself.
  • Get enough financial freedom that the $99/year makes little difference. Not seeing that happen soon.

Then chances are I won’t develop the app further. It was hard enough to build and get right as it is, only to have features swept from under its feet by forces outside my control.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cory said:

Great app!

Thank you.

1 hour ago, cory said:

One thing I liked about EggTimer (when it worked :p) was it always showing a notification after setting timer, simply stating "Timer Set for X Mins" ---- helped peace of mind.
Any hope for this app doing same?

The app always show the remaining timer in the menubar, a notification would be repeated information. Unless, I guess, if you’re using an app in full screen. I’ll think about it, but make no promises.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

@vitor - Thank you for a great timer.

I like the simplicity, but sometimes I'd like to have a timer that puts a large message or overlay on my screen when I'm done, forcing me to switch gears. Notifications are too easy to ignore.

Sometimes I use an app called Time Out for this (https://www.dejal.com/timeout/) but would prefer something I can launch directly from Alfred.

Is it possible to modify this so that it displays a large message or overlay to the screen?

Is anyone aware of an Alfred-friendly app that would give me this functionality?

Thank you..

On 2/20/2020 at 8:12 PM, mlondon said:

Thank you for a great timer.

Thank you for the kind words.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:12 PM, mlondon said:

Is it possible to modify this so that it displays a large message or overlay to the screen?

We could add a Delay Utility and a Large Type Workflow Output but that wouldn’t communicate with the app (if, for example, you canceled it).

I could look into adding the functionality to the app itself, but honestly Apple has been too tough on non-signed apps and even the notifications it can provide are severely crippled from when I started working on the app. Since at the moment I can’t justify the $99/year (for an Apple Developer Account for signing) for something I’m giving away for free, I have no plans to improve the app until that changes.

Thank you for the offer, but I won’t accept it.

Having an Apple Developer Account and being able to justify paying for one aren’t the same thing. $100 are more useful to me than the account (which would be convenient but I don’t really need).

When someone pays me to code, I’m committed to an agreement and will do as much or more than was decided, because I’m being compensated for my time.

When I code for free, even if I build something I will never use (common), I have the freedom to decide how committed I want to be and can abandon the project at any time.

When someone sends me a tip as a way of thanks, it’s for things I’ve already done, so I retain the freedom to continue sharing or stop.

But if you paid for one year of an Apple Developer Account, I would get no compensation (all the money would be spent on something I care little about) and I’d be beholden to you (or worse, a group of people) to work on features. It’s the worse of both worlds.

While I know that’s not in any way your intention, it sounds like a recipe for an unhappy time. No, thank you.

• 2 months later...

Update.

Added support for user-specified timer names. Pinging @CuteCat since you’ve specifically asked for that feature. It was coded by @gregschroeder.

To use the feature, you need the latest version of the app, so run :sandwichtimerupdateapp in Alfred to get it (will silently replace the one in /Applications). To use in Alfred, add more text (e.g. timer 5 This will be the timer name).

To update to the latest version of the Workflow, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

Edited by vitor
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...