Just finished migrating from TextExpander 5...

and I have to say how impressed I am with the snippets feature -- I hadn't looked at all the details in quite a while and there's so much that can now be done with snippet triggers etc.  It was very easy to recreate all my fill-in and script driven TE snippets in Alfred.

Aye, snippet triggers are extremely cool. They're a great fit for some workflows. I added one to my [relative dates](https://github.com/deanishe/alfred-relative-dates) workflow, and it's so much more useful now (to me at least). I should go through my other workflows and see which would benefit.

I still use a different app for fill-in snippets, though. It's just so much more work to build them in Alfred.

11 hours ago, deanishe said:

I still use a different app for fill-in snippets, though.

Which one do you use? I recommended text expansion software today, and while I mentioned TextExpander I also said I didn’t recommend it for the person’s needs as other non-subscription apps would suffice. I ended up recommending aText but also know of TypeIt4Me and Typinator. I seem to recall you mentioning you use one of those (the former?) but I’m not sure.

Typinator. I have no experience with the others.

I only use Typinator because when TextExpander made their cash and data grab, I found an old licence for Typinator from some bundle I'd bought (i.e. cheap upgrade), and it has very good support for importing TextExpander snippets.

At the time, Alfred's snippets were way too limited for my needs.

I've since moved most snippets over to Alfred because it works with neovim, while Typinator doesn't, but I still have a few fill-in snippets in Typinator: they have 5+ fields, so they'd be a real PITA to implement in Alfred.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:29 AM, dfay said:

Actually I'm blown away by how much more powerful Alfred is than TE, thanks to the ability to use script filters in snippets.  

But Alfred's is still without formatting (also links etc), correct? 

That is the main reason I didn't consider switching, but if there is a way around that, I'd love to know!

Thanks

Giovanni

• 2 weeks later...

True it doesn't have formatting, it's plain text (which is what I want anyway).  I use Markdown in my note taking so plain text works great.  If I'm on a call, and need to whip out some meeting notes, I've got text templates with Markdown tags ready to go.  Makes my life so much easier.  I used to use text, but ran into issues where I found myself relaunching it, or wouldn't work.  Thus far Alfred snippets are pretty reliable.  - I do run into some lag issues occasionally, but for now, I'm rolling with the assumption that I've got too many things open and not much free memory.  

My $.02