Selection in macOS doesn't work in apps

New to Alfred and trying to learn, so thanks in advance for answering the question!

I have tried the example as well as downloaded workflow.   It seems the "Selection in macOS" only works in some apps like Finder, but not other like Notes, Textedit, Chrome, and etc...  The argument is empty with these apps.

Could this be some compatibility issue with the current Alfred (3.6.1[ [910]) and the latest OS update (10.13.5)?

Welcome @Rickw,

When asking for help with a Workflow, please upload it somewhere as we can’t properly help you without access to it. Debugging can already be hard with access to the code, and you’re asking us to guess yours from a description. There are multiple places where your code or Workflow setup may be going wrong. Without looking at it we’re shooting in the dark.

Read the Reporting Problems with Workflows topic, as it gives a nice overview on how to build an effective report.

Your Workflow is correct and I can’t reproduce the issue. It’s likely this is an issue with the beta macOS, yes. Try the latest Alfred pre-release(3.6.2). If it doesn’t work, see the following post and re-report the bug according to the instructions. I got confused and forgot Mojave is 10.14.

Edited by vitor
  • vitor changed the title to [SOLVED] Selection in macOS doesn't work in apps

@Rickw I've just had a look at your workflow, and it behaves as expected for me - but I'm not on 10.13.5 on this Mac.

Could you take a look at whether you're using any third-party clipboard managers (e.g. PopClip) or other tools that could manipulate the clipboard? Tools like these could result in your clipboard content being unavailable to Alfred, so take a look at your Mac's preferences under > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility to see what other tools/apps have permission to manipulate your clipboard data.

Cheers,
Vero

15 minutes ago, vitor said:

New Mac?

New hack.

Didn't have much choice: the OpenSSL in Sierra and earlier is so criminally old that it only supports SSLv1. That means anything that uses it (e.g. Python) can't connect to GitHub or the Python software repository or many other sites.

Hi,

I upgraded to 3.6.2 + 10.13.6 from 3.6.1 + 10.13.5, now the workflow doesn't work completely.  Before the upgrade, it used to work in Finder app.

Here is what I have under the Mac's preferences under > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.  I tried to disable everything else except Alfred 3 but still no luck

1186701111_ScreenShot2018-07-11at2_44_30PM.png.da9f2c58bdad2438f2068d38b770257c.png

@Rickw I've tested this in Mojave and it works as expected for me there too.

Could you please temporarily create a new user account on your Mac, and try the workflow in a vanilla user profile where other potentially interfering apps are not installed/running? This will allow you to establish whether other apps are getting in the way, as we haven't been able to replicate the issue on quite a range of devices.

Cheers,
Vero

Sure thing, I will do that!

A few things I also tried:

1. I disabled/deleted almost all other system/app shortcuts and touchpad gesture, still not working.

2. While testing it, I notice that maybe something else was triggered at the same time. For example, the Developer tools of Chrome was triggered. And this behavior is the same no matter which hotkey I chose for the workflow, so I suspect it is not due to a hotkey-conflict issue.  I also tried the define the same hotkey in iTerm2 to test possible hotkey-conflict, the hotkey recognized by iTerm2 was immediately cleared and set to ⌘C. Again, it doesn't matter which hotkey I choose for the workflow, it seems like ⌘C was recognized as long as I type this hotkey in iTerm2.

3. If I chose a different Argument option in my workflow, either text, or macOS Clipboard Contents, the workflow would work and no extra stuff (i.e. developer tool of chrome) was triggered.

At the very beginning, I installed Alfred 1 from the app store, then uninstall and get the Alfred 3 after realizing it was outdated.  Not sure if this can cause anything...

Edited by Rickw

@Vero I just tried to create a new user as your recommended, then I installed the Alfred 3 in the same folder, imported my existing preferences.  The workflow worked....

So it must be something to do with my existing setting then, but what could it be?  Clipboard? Hotkey? Other app?

Here is the screenshot of all the apps I installed.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsr5n1246n28t32/Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 8.55.39 PM.png

Edited by Rickw

@Vero Thank you!

Now this leads to another problem.  I have changed the shortcut for "Copy" to default, but I am constantly switching between Win and OSX, so I am hoping Alfred can allow me to use  "Control + C" for copy.   (OSX added filename after the text "Copy" in the shortcut menu so I wasn't able to redefine the copy shortcut --- or is there an easier way and I'm just being dumb?)

1. If I "Control + C" a text, Alfred copies the text to the clipboard so I can paste the text

2. If I  "Control + C" a file, Alfred copies the file so I can paste the file, not the file name

Edited by Rickw