Bitwarden CLI - Get passwords, username, TOTP and more from Bitwarden

15 hours ago, deanishe said:

This. If you care who your apps are talking to, I can't recommend Little Snitch enough. I'm really annoyed Apple have changed Big Sur so that Apple's own programs can bypass 3rd-party firewalls.

@deanishe – According to Patrick Wardle, the macOS 11.2 beta 2 suggests that Apple is removing this policy going forward! 

And kudos to @blacs30 for an awesome workflow!

8 hours ago, blacs30 said:

Secure note content is hidden in the workflow and is treated like a password.

Ah, ok, thanks for explaining that. I suppose viewing the secure note content in the workflow would compromise security you've built into the app? What about an option to "View in Bitwarden"—whether the Desktop app or online?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 1:56 PM, deanishe said:

All in all, very well done. @blacs30 is very security aware. I would trust this workflow much more than the browser extension, which was written—at least in part—by idiots.

@deanishe Could you explain the "idiots" comment re the Bitwarden browser extension? I looked through the linked discussion, but I'm not savvy enough to understand what the problem is.

I guess they were referrring to

For the browser extension, all vault data is stored using the chrome.storage API. [...] chrome.storage is considered an unprotected data storage medium since it's just plainly on the client disk. [...] Currently the browser extension also stores the encryption key in chrome.storage.

So storing both the encrypted data and the en-/decryption key in the same unprotected storage ("plainly on disk") is indeed a horrible idea. Storing it in a place that is potentially vulnerable to direct access via malicious websites in case the browser itself is attackable via a browser vulnerability is another issue. The latter is the reason why it is generally not the best idea to use a browser's own password management feature.

15 hours ago, paulw said:

Good to know also about why not to use a browser's password management as well.

It is (in my opinion) still way better than not using a password management at all. 

15 hours ago, paulw said:

The convenience of the Bitwarden browser extension is nice. Do you think the developers' blunder is enough not to trust using it now?

I am not really in a position to judge that. The github issue is more than 4 years old, so I hope they learned something since then. Personally, I am using the Firefox extension without having investigated any closer, I'm trusting (perhaps wrongly so) that a security company does at least a few things right.  

16 hours ago, paulw said:

Do you think the developers' blunder is enough not to trust using it now?

I think so. Most of the code is re-purposed from the web frontend. I use it, in any case.

16 hours ago, paulw said:

Good to know also about why not to use a browser's password management as well.

They're at least as safe as a browser extension, and arguably better than copy-pasting passwords from another app.

The main advantage of a standalone password manager is that you can put more than just website passwords in there.

• 4 weeks later...

@blacs30 Hi there, thanks for the script. It was working great until the other day, when i tried to update the secrets. I don't seem to be able to log back in again properly. I get the follow ing error message:

Error: dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicui18n.67.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/node
  Reason: image not found

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and, more importantly, how to fix it 🙂

25 minutes ago, jim465 said:

@blacs30 Hi there, thanks for the script. It was working great until the other day, when i tried to update the secrets. I don't seem to be able to log back in again properly. I get the follow ing error message:

Error: dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicui18n.67.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/node
  Reason: image not found

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and, more importantly, how to fix it 🙂

@jim465

This issue looks unrelated to the workflow itself but related to either the node or bitwarden-cli installation itself.

How did you install bitwarden-cli, via brew or npm?  I assume that a simple bw command like `bw -v` will fail as well? Try reinstalling it.

29 minutes ago, jim465 said:

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and, more importantly, how to fix it

Your Homebrew Node is out of whack with its dependencies. Reinstall it by running this command in a shell:

brew reinstall node

Might be a good idea to run brew update first, or even brew upgrade to install the latest versions of everything (which should also fix the issue).

Edited by deanishe
5 hours ago, deanishe said:

Your Homebrew Node is out of whack with its dependencies. Reinstall it by running this command in a shell:

brew reinstall node

Might be a good idea to run brew update first, or even brew upgrade to install the latest versions of everything (which should also fix the issue).

5 hours ago, blacs30 said:

@jim465

This issue looks unrelated to the workflow itself but related to either the node or bitwarden-cli installation itself.

How did you install bitwarden-cli, via brew or npm?  I assume that a simple bw command like `bw -v` will fail as well? Try reinstalling it.

Thanks both - I had upgraded all my home brew installs recently, but something must have gone awry. upgrading node worked.

Much appreciated.

@deanishe Appreciate the reply man! Also appreciate all your support on everything else! 

I know about this tip but what I forgot to mention was that I changed the workflow from a keyword to hotkey trigger so history unfortunately won't work in my situation. What I'm trying to do is save the query last typed after I use the hotkey to activate the workflow.

With keyword trigger, your tip works perfectly.

With hotkey trigger, I don't see that the query or selection is saved to a var. What I do see is "Getting item for id..." Not sure if this is the right approach or how to achieve saving this to a file to automatically repopulate on the next hotkey trigger (maybe even with a timeout, i.e. it will automatically repopulate my last selection if hotkey is trigger within the next minute), but I do know how to write to file.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on achieving this. 

Again, thanks for your help! 😃

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jpizzle said:

how to modify search to look for items that contain the query rather than starts with?

Disable "Alfred filters results" on the main Script Filter, and the workflow uses fuzzy filtering instead of Alfred's word-starts-with filtering.

bitwarden-1.png.0d826008cda3a02fe41ada0001710068.png

Bitwarden-2.png.e37c45bb3bdfb8bf41e28867e1b4af50.png

Bear in mind that that is significantly slower because the workflow needs to reload your logins a bunch of times instead of just passing them all to Alfred once.

Edited by deanishe
  • 1 month later...

Update: 

Version 2.3.0 is released. Get it from github https://github.com/blacs30/bitwarden-alfred-workflow/releases/tag/2.3.0

After some months I am releasing this version which adds 2 features which were requested:

- The auto lock service locks the Bitwarden workflow after every start and after a configurable time read more here

- The auto sync service which syncs Bitwarden in the background multiple times a day with configurable times see more here

• 1 month later...

i get the error code "the bitwarden command bw was not found". I am on m1 mac os so maybe it is an issue, i have bitwarden cli working well in terminal, latest workflow installed and alfred authorized in privacy settings. I appreciate any help !

@stachmou That issue should be unrelated to the platform (the workflow itself is compiled for both intel and m1). You can check where the Bitwarden cli is located. I assume it's named bw, otherwise it has to be adjusted in the workflow settings (BW_EXEC variable name). Please have a look at the path configuration https://github.com/blacs30/bitwarden-alfred-workflow/#path-configuration, you can get the location of bw with e.g. which bw and then copy the path to the workflow PATH variable. As you might need node and other binaries in the PATH you could try to copy the complete content of the shell PATH variable (in the terminal run echo $PATH) into the workflow PATH variable.