Quick search for Mail.app keywords

Hi there

I'm spending too long sifting emails (even though I'm an 'inbox zero' kind of guy!) 

Can Alfred help? If I know who sent it, and a couple of keywords from the email, will Alfred make some suggestions? Because of all the threads etc, it can otherwise feel like a needle in a haystack. 

Thanks so much,

Adam

@mac98aop I created a Mail.app workflow that I still use a lot. It's very simple, but might suit your needs too

You can search by author, subject line, content, etc... Of course, you could create your own keywords to search for combinations thereof, or for other available metadata :)

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks. Really kind.

I have that workflow already, and really appreciate your reply. Thing is, in giving me a long list of potentials matches, it doesn't hugely help.

Perhaps you can help. 

If I want to find an email that I know Jonny sent, and somewhere it had the words 'preference' and 'June', is there a way I can help Alfred find it?!?

@mac98aop Take a look at the workflow's objects, then duplicate them and modify them to your own needs...

For example, the "emfrom" object searches Authors and Email addresses. You could add/remove Metadata fields to customise the search, and add content too.

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 10.35.37.png

Now, if you prefer to split the queries, e.g. email from Jonny, THEN say what content to search for, here's a more advanced workflow, which dynamically configures the file filter.

With this workflow, first type the name of your sender and press Return. Next, type the content you want to search for to filter your search results. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bht1bypqnaavmtd/Search Email by Author then Content.alfredworkflow?dl=0

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.15.35.png

This two-part workflow uses a JSON object in the middle to dynamically set the sender in the File Filter.

I've also had a chat with @Andrew, as this has given us ideas on how to improve and simplify multi-argument searches for the future :) So you can look forward to even simpler ways of creating workflows like this one.

Don't hesitate to modify this workflow and play with it to suit your own needs, and let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Vero

Brilliant, thanks! Yes, it works well. Trouble is, it doesn't find the email I've lost. 

So, that suggests it's in the ether!? I fear that my sync isn't quite right from Mac to iPhone.

But your workflow is brilliant and finds all others superbly. My adding Meta Data etc sounds fun, but will need to find time to experiment as I'm new to such things!

Keep up the good work.