firefox bookmark search

[18:56:39.187] Logging Stopped.
[18:56:39.602] Logging Started...
[18:56:41.741] Firefox Bookmarks[Hotkey] Processing complete
[18:56:41.743] Firefox Bookmarks[Hotkey] Passing output '' to Script Filter
[18:56:43.610] Firefox Bookmarks[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[18:56:43.708] Firefox Bookmarks[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[18:56:43.710] STDERR: Firefox Bookmarks[Script Filter] .
0.000s ⧗ load profile
profile=Profile(name='default', path='/Users/aawoepifj/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/vthbw7qx.default', default=True)
0.000s ⧗ load bookmarks
0 bookmark(s) in profile "default"
0.000s ⧗ done
[18:56:43.711] Firefox Bookmarks[Script Filter] {
  "items": []
}

Looks like it isn't crashing or anything, just can't find them I guess?

On 9/1/2019 at 3:09 AM, Belfong said:

Hopefully, one day we will see an increase in FF users.

Well, Apple are doing a good job of pushing people away from Safari by utterly crippling its support for extensions in v13, but Firefox is always going to be less popular in communities like Alfred's as long as it has no support for AppleScript.

4 minutes ago, aawoepifj said:

Looks like it isn't crashing or anything, just can't find them I guess?

Is there actually a bookmarks.html file in that directory (i.e. at /Users/aawoepifj/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/vthbw7qx.default/bookmarks.html)?

Try restarting Firefox again.

Ah, think I found the issue. It looks like firefox is using a default-release profile - not sure how that was generated or chosen.

edit - how could I point the workflow to that profile?

edit2 - nevermind I got it :) Thanks deanishe, this workflow should be more than enough until Firefox makes their bookmarks easier for the team to work with. Especially since you can hotkey it and avoid the need for the ff prefix. Thanks so much!

Edited by aawoepifj

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, tylast said:

Surely Alfred can add GUI preferences for users to add Firefox Bookmarks & History without all these gymnastics??

The issue isn’t Alfred, it’s Firefox. Firefox is a terrible browser for any kind of automation (at least on macOS). As another example, it’s the only major browser that doesn’t support AppleScript.

Unfortunately, the developers at Mozilla consider those “features for power users that regular users don’t care about” (I’m paraphrasing, but that reason has been given to me) and fail to understand that power users build on those, allowing new abilities for regular users. They complain that nobody uses Firefox, but when you explain why (on macOS there are several things that do not exist or don’t work properly), they mostly ignore it.

There’s only so much we can do. You need to make your voice heard on Firefox’s side, not on the side of the tools that don’t support Firefox, because those mostly don’t lack Firefox support by choice, they lack it because Firefox makes it hard or impossible.

• 9 months later...