• onenote
  • chrome address bar
  • chrome, any website with username textbox
  • safari address bar
  • safari, any website with username textbox

Snippets do not work in...

• chrome, any website with password textbox
  • safari, any website with password textbox

Sometimes, at random times, I'll get a message that text expansion is being blocked for either chrome or safari. 

I'm using multiple profiles on chrome, so I'm pretty sure that the lastpass plugin is not colliding with Alfred. Safari has no plugins. 

I pride myself in reading the instruction manual, I use this: https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/

Am I missing something? What am I overlooking?

Many thanks in advance

6 hours ago, bitterac said:

Am I missing something? What am I overlooking?

The way snippets work is that Alfred (or any other snippet app) monitors your keystrokes so it can tell when you've entered a snippet keyword.

One of the key features of password fields (Secure Input) is that they prevent apps from monitoring your keystrokes. They wouldn't be secure otherwise.

yeah, started to research that last night. good call. what I'm trying to find now is a way to confirm that secure entry is activated. I found this command on a old logitech post but doesn't give me results I'm expecting. 

ioreg -l -d 1 -w 0 | grep SecureInput

You can check whether it's enabled in JXA with:

function run() {
    ObjC.bindFunction('IsSecureEventInputEnabled', ['bool', []])
    return $.IsSecureEventInputEnabled()
}

FWIW, Chrome has quite a long history of failing to turn Secure Input off again. To fix it, you at least need to log out and log in again.

thanks

this has been a problem I've casually been researching for about 5 months now. several reboots and restarts since then, so you can say that I've logged in and out for a few times. today, I signed out of my profile in chrome and quit chrome just to be sure. But know that I've tested this using several profiles including incognito. 

Also this problem occurs with safari and just tested with firefox. no plugins installed. 

Included is a screenshot of your code. Full disclosure, I'm a developer with zero macOS experience. So your method was new to me. 

image.png