help scripting airmail 3 with alfred / AppleScript

Hi, 

I'm a newbie on automation, tho I did dabble in programming a LONG time ago... when we had to queue for mainframe time at college and used punch cards to submit programmes!!

anyway enough history...

I have tons of email and am looking for a smart way of managing it, and find on the whole Airmail 3 an excellent app with unified inbox and mostly g-suite accounts (apart from my mac email).

I'd like to be able to create a work flow to add a label to an email (read later), arrive it (remove inbox label) all by pressing one hot key. currently i can do it by pressing L, then picking label, then pressing E (to archive). 

Ive searched the forum and haven't been able to find anything like this, but forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question...

any help pointing me in the right direction would be great!

best regards,

Joe (Dundee, Scotland)

Hi @Joe Lafferty, welcome to the forum.

What you're asking isn't easily possible because Airmail 3's support for scripting is rubbish.

You can try to simulate the keypresses via AppleScript, but that's generally an unreliable way of doing things. This AppleScript might work

tell application "System Events"

keystroke "l" -- show label popup

delay 0.3

keystroke "read later" -- type label name

delay 0.2

key code 36 -- return to add label

delay 0.3

keystroke "e" -- archive selected message

end tell

You may have to fiddle with the delays to ensure the action completes before the script tries to perform the next one.