Icons are not showing properly

Like attached example one, the all icons are not showing properly. Not only doesn't Emacs.app show, but also others doesn't as well.

I do "Reload Alfred Cache", but it makes worse. The existing other icons are showing default not the icons from the app.

How to fix this?

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 11.46.10 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @breadncup, welcome to the forum.

These icons are provided directly by macOS to Alfred, so if they're not showing in Alfred, it could be one of a few things:

1. First, please quit Alfred and manually delete it from your Applications folder by dragging to Trash. Reinstall Alfred from https://www.alfredapp.com (and never from a third-party source) to ensure there's no corruption.
  2. It could be a temporary permissions quirk, as Mojave has completely overhauled permissions, so it's possible that it's stopping Alfred from accessing the image data. A restart of your Mac may fix this.
  3. It may be a deeper permissions quirk, that could be caused by a botched upgrade from the previous macOS or from a Mojave beta to your current version. Try creating a new user account temporarily to see whether that's resolved.
  4. Do these applications actually exist in the Applications folder? Or are they stored in a different location and linked in? If it's the latter, this may be causing an issue.

In any case, please let us know how you get on and whether a new user account resolves the issue for you. :)

Cheers,
Vero

@rocklobster Interesting observation... 

Can you please provide a few screenshots to see whether we can glean any insight into what could be causing this?

1. A screenshot of the Quit command with a few apps showing
  2. A screenshot of searching for at least a few of the same apps (to allow us to compare file paths below the app name)
  3. Which operating system are you using? Did you upgrade from a previous OS or do a completely fresh install?
  4. (Do the above first, as we'd still benefit from the insight) If you type "reload" into Alfred, does this change anything?

And finally, could you please launch Terminal and type the following command:

diskutil info /

Please paste the results here so that we can take a look and work out whether our theory of what could be the source of the issue in macOS  is correct :) 

Cheers,
Vero

Hello Vero,

I'm running 10.14 and I upgraded.

Device Identifier:         disk1s1
   Device Node:               /dev/disk1s1
   Whole:                     No
   Part of Whole:             disk1

Volume Name:               Macintosh HD
   Mounted:                   Yes
   Mount Point:               /

Partition Type:            41504653-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
   File System Personality:   APFS
   Type (Bundle):             apfs
   Name (User Visible):       APFS
   Owners:                    Enabled

OS Can Be Installed:       Yes
   Booter Disk:               disk1s2
   Recovery Disk:             disk1s3
   Media Type:                Generic
   Protocol:                  PCI
   SMART Status:              Verified
   Volume UUID:               EBA045DB-4E5E-419E-9DC1-FC7DE3FF71B0
   Disk / Partition UUID:     EBA045DB-4E5E-419E-9DC1-FC7DE3FF71B0

Disk Size:                 250.1 GB (250140434432 Bytes) (exactly 488555536 512-Byte-Units)
   Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes

Volume Total Space:        250.1 GB (250140434432 Bytes) (exactly 488555536 512-Byte-Units)
   Volume Used Space:         219.0 GB (219006783488 Bytes) (exactly 427747624 512-Byte-Units) (87.6%)
   Volume Free Space:         31.1 GB (31133650944 Bytes) (exactly 60807912 512-Byte-Units) (12.4%)
   Allocation Block Size:     4096 Bytes

Read-Only Media:           No
   Read-Only Volume:          No

Device Location:           Internal
   Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Yes
   Hardware AES Support:      No

Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 10.35.56.png

@Vero Thank you for the reply.

I've tried your steps above ( creating a new user / re-install alfred with deleting Application + Library Preferences + Allow all permissions in Mojave Security Settings ), but it's not working.

However, when I typed "Quit" in the Alfred, it shows the icons I'm looking for.

Untitled.jpg.280adfbe35833d0ce9961728772f49bf.jpg

The icon for the App doesn't show up

untitle2.jpg.eeea6bb3877fe396e8e77221a88dc0ab.jpg

The system has upgraded from previous OS to Mojave.

I've tried to "Reload Alfred Cache" and waited for an hour, but it's still same.

@breadncup @rocklobster It's tricky to establish what could be happening here; You've both upgraded Mojave rather than fresh installing, so there's a good possibility something has botched in the upgrade, leading to this issue.

If you could please both install the Alfred Metadata tool and drag an app that isn't showing up after typing "reload" so that we can take a look at the metadata for it:

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

This will at least allow us to see what information macOS is providing about the apps, and whether it's complete enough.

Beyond this, if you have anything non-standard on your Macs, e.g. apps not stored in Applications folder and symlinked instead, etc, please let me know as this could be playing a significant role and only you know exactly how your Mac is set up. 

Cheers,
Vero

11 hours ago, Vero said:

@breadncup @rocklobster It's tricky to establish what could be happening here; You've both upgraded Mojave rather than fresh installing, so there's a good possibility something has botched in the upgrade, leading to this issue.

If you could please both install the Alfred Metadata tool and drag an app that isn't showing up after typing "reload" so that we can take a look at the metadata for it:

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

This will at least allow us to see what information macOS is providing about the apps, and whether it's complete enough.

Beyond this, if you have anything non-standard on your Macs, e.g. apps not stored in Applications folder and symlinked instead, etc, please let me know as this could be playing a significant role and only you know exactly how your Mac is set up. 

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks, Vero. Here is the output of the metatool app:

/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Emacs.app
    Alt Names: Emacs.app
    File Type: com.apple.application-file
     Comments: 
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 2018-10-30 20:40:22 +0000

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

_kMDItemDisplayNameWithExtensions  = "Emacs.app"
_kMDItemEngagementData             = <09000000 40ebc3c0 410002>
_kMDItemRenderData                 = <09000000 8042c3c0 41000c01 05>
kMDItemAlternateNames              = (
    "Emacs.app"
)
kMDItemContentCreationDate         = 2018-10-16 23:49:32 +0000
kMDItemContentCreationDate_Ranking = 2018-10-16 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate     = 2018-10-16 23:51:34 +0000
kMDItemContentType                 = "com.apple.application-file"
kMDItemContentTypeTree             = (
    "com.apple.application-file",
    "public.executable",
    "com.apple.application-file",
    "public.data",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.application"
)
kMDItemCopyright                   = "Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc."
kMDItemDateAdded                   = 2018-10-16 23:51:34 +0000
kMDItemDateAdded_Ranking           = 2018-10-16 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName                 = "Emacs.app"
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures     = (
    "x86_64"
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate         = 2018-10-16 23:51:34 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate              = 2018-10-16 23:49:32 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode               = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags               = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon             = (null)
kMDItemFSInvisible                 = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden         = 1
kMDItemFSIsStationery              = (null)
kMDItemFSLabel                     = 0
kMDItemFSName                      = "Emacs.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount                 = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID              = 80
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID               = 0
kMDItemFSSize                      = 109294186
kMDItemFSTypeCode                  = ""
kMDItemInterestingDate_Ranking     = 2018-10-30 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemKind                        = "Application"
kMDItemLanguages                   = (
    English
)
kMDItemLastUsedDate                = 2018-10-30 20:40:22 +0000
kMDItemLastUsedDate_Ranking        = 2018-10-30 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemLogicalSize                 = 109294186
kMDItemPhysicalSize                = 50900992
kMDItemUseCount                    = 7
kMDItemUsedDates                   = (
    "2018-10-22 07:00:00 +0000",
    "2018-10-24 07:00:00 +0000",
    "2018-10-29 07:00:00 +0000",
    "2018-10-30 07:00:00 +0000"
)
kMDItemVersion                     = "26.1.50"

This is puzzling, as the Quit command and the Apps search request the icon in exactly the same way from macOS. So far, we've established that all users experiencing this issue are on macOS Mojave and have upgraded from a previous OS.

Alfred doesn't have "fallback" icons for apps, so an icon is being returned by macOS to Alfred, but it's the incorrect default Application icon rather than the unique icon for the app.

@breadncup  @rocklobster As we're unable to replicate this issue, could you please try the following and report back on your results?

Things to try:

1. Switch to the Alfred Default theme, which uses smaller icon, to see whether there might be some corruption resulting in the wrong icon being provided on a theme with certain icon sizes.
  2. Drag the applications for which you have issues to your Home folder's Applications folder (temporarily), wait a moment to let macOS reindex the file in a completely new location, then type "reload" into Alfred so that the app cache is forced to refresh. Does the correct icon now appear?
  3. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you have any sym-linking of apps,  or any other non-standard setup on your Mac, please let us know as this may play an unexpected part in this.

We have a theory relating to a combination of changing to the Mojave APFS (new File System), a possible change in case sensitivity during that upgrade, and a bug/corruption in the macOS metadata index, which is causing odd issues leading to you not seeing the correct icons when searching for applications.

When using the Quit keyword, the information is fed from a different part of macOS, which may be slightly different (and correct) whereas the macOS metadata index isn't correct. It's very difficult for us to troubleshoot this, given we've been unable to replicate it and it only seems to affect a handful of users, so the more information you can share, the more likely we can get to the bottom of this niggling Mojave bug! :)

Cheers,
Vero

Dear Vero,

As I discussed here, I have the same problem with Alfred. This problem started when I updated from 10.14.0 to 10.14.1.

3 hours ago, Vero said:

Things to try:

1. Switch to the Alfred Default theme, which uses smaller icon, to see whether there might be some corruption resulting in the wrong icon being provided on a theme with certain icon sizes.
  2.  Drag the applications for which you have issues to your Home folder's Applications folder (temporarily), wait a moment to let macOS reindex the file in a completely new location, then type "reload" into Alfred so that the app cache is forced to refresh. Does the correct icon now appear?
  3.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you have any sym-linking of apps,  or any other non-standard setup on your Mac, please let us know as this may play an unexpected part in this.

I tried 1 and 2 and it didn't work. I have a standard Mac setup, so I guess 3. does not apply me.

Cheers,

Daniel

Edited by DanielDD
7 hours ago, Vero said:

@breadncup @rocklobster As well as what I've suggested above, please make sure you update to Mojave 10.14.1 when you get a moment, as one user reported the issue disappeared for him after updating to it (which could be coincidental, or could be a fix on Apple's part behind the scenes)

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero, Thank you for your help, but I erase the macbook and re-install Mojave in the fresh condition.

So, I'm not able to reproduce the issue anymore. If I could reproduce the issue, I will post with new thread.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having the same issue after I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave (where apps that were installed before the update show the generic icon). I have noticed that some apps updated themselves and now their real icons show in the Alfred.app window. This is on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).

On my brand new macbook air retina, all of the icons show up as normal.

@clepore @rahult Thanks for reporting this. Out of interest, how long ago did you upgrade to Mojave? How much has your Mac been switched on/logged in since?

We're still trying to get to the bottom of this; We find that either users report that the issue has resolved itself, or we don't hear back from them. As such, it's tricky to establish what's going on and what (if anything) is needed for a resolution. 

Our best guess is that there's a maintenance period after upgrading to Mojave where macOS feeds the default icon to Alfred instead of the actual apps' icons - which is out of our control.

Could you please set a reminder to check again in a couple of days, and come back to us with whether or not the icons have come back by themselves? :) It'd be really helpful regardless of what's happened!

Cheers,
Vero

I updated to Mojave about a week after it was released, around the beginning of October. That computer has only been restarted once or twice. As of today, some of the icons are still missing, but I'll try another restart and see what happens.

Edited by clepore
grammar/spelling

Now that I'm checking this morning, it seems that most of the icons are slowly coming back, so it might be some slow, progressive script on apple's side like you think. I'm still missing a few native and third party icons, but it seems 75% of the icons have started showing up over the past week.