First party sync service

pruppert

Looks like macOS Catalina allows this functionality without having to resort to Dropbox. You can now 'Pin' files and folders in iCloud, which presumably keeps them local, regardless of your Mac optimisation.

Just have to mention that the "expert" answers in this thread are probably on the mark, but felt hostile and like gatekeeping. Throwing that critique out there, do with it what you will.

• 11 months later...
On 6/22/2019 at 3:36 PM, Bruno Scheele said:

Looks like macOS Catalina allows this functionality without having to resort to Dropbox. You can now 'Pin' files and folders in iCloud, which presumably keeps them local, regardless of your Mac optimisation.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've been using iCloud Drive to sync Alfred preferences for maybe six months and it's working just fine for me. The "pinning" feature doesn't seem to exist in Catalina but I've found that once I right-clicked the Alfred Preferences folder and picking "Download Now" the folder has stayed reliably synced -- even though I don't have room on this Mac to turn off Optimize Storage. The one thing I do miss from Dropbox was the selective sync controls. It's become bloatware otherwise, though, and I'm glad to be rid of it.

I'll add here that I also keep my Sublime Text preferences synced through iCloud Drive (using some symlinking of folders) and that, too, works reliably and quickly.  

On 6/22/2019 at 3:36 PM, Bruno Scheele said:

Just have to mention that the "expert" answers in this thread are probably on the mark, but felt hostile and like gatekeeping. Throwing that critique out there, do with it what you will.

Yep. I got that feeling too. It's not just this thread either. Kind of offputting! 

1 hour ago, octothorpe said:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've been using iCloud Drive to sync Alfred preferences for maybe six months and it's working just fine for me.

That's good to hear. It would be a huge win if iCloud Drive improved to the point that it works well enough to sync Alfred's preferences. Especially as Dropbox has been going downhill for some time now.