Michael Mills

[SOLVED] Searching files managed by Box Drive

Box.com is tilting away from Box Sync (the local filesystem for which Alfred searched OK) to Box Drive, which has a Make Available Offline option. I set that option for a folder, added the folder to Alfred search list, but so far haven't been able to find those files via Alfred. Suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks, checking on Spotlight was informative. According to Box, the Spotlight and Finder searches do NOT index Box files, even ones that are set Available Offline, i.e., a copy exists on the local filesystem. Box users have requested a fix, but nothing (yet) from Box. https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Drive-Known-Issues-and/Mac-Specific-Known-Issues-for-Box-Drive/ta-p/37353

That’s why Alfred can’t find the files — it relies on Spotlight’s indexing. The good news is that if they ever fix it for Spotlight, Alfred should immediately get it without you having to do anything.

Posted (edited)

Is it possible that Alfred can use the Dox Drive indexing, in the same way that it uses the Spotlight indexing? Apparently we can query Box Drive using cmd+ctrl+alt+space. It is not practical to do several searches... for files in disk and for files in external Box Drive. I understand that this is more like a Box issue, but maybe Alfred can help on this. I would be nice.

Edited by A. Costa