Start Recording — Shortcuts to record your Mac’s audio, screen, or webcam

When reporting issues, please include your exact installed versions of:

• The Workflow.
  • Alfred.
  • macOS.

In addition to:

• The debugger output. Perform the failing action, click “Copy” on the top right and paste it here.
  • Details on what you did, what happened, and what you expected to happen. A short video of the steps with the debugger open may help to find the problem faster.

Thank you. Accurate and thorough information is crucial for a proper diagnosis which allows me to help you better.

2 hours ago, nikivi said:

There is no need for applescript as there is a global hot key to start recording. 

Similar logic can be applied to QuickTime Player. But the app needs to be open, which defeats the purpose. The point of the Workflow is that you don’t need prior setup (as explained in the first line, you start recording fast).

Edited by vitor
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This workflow looks great. I'd love if this could work with Audio Hijack so I could make hotkey dependent audio type/quality recordings directly from Alfred. The company that makes the app is Rogue Amoeba

Their app Loopback is also great, and I could also see a common audio rerouting setup working well. I don't have their soundboard app, but thinking of a workflow that combines a custom soundboard in Alfred has me cracking up.

Thanks for making this!

Unfortunately, I can’t give you generic instructions because each app implements its AppleScript dictionary as they see fit. It’s even possible that their apps don’t support AppleScript (I think they do) or that they do but don’t support that specific action. You need to have some understanding of AppleScript to even gather if it’s possible.

It’s my understanding Audio Hijack can record audio from specific applications, so it’s possible that their method is complex. You might have some success by asking on their forums or their support how to do it, at which point it may be possible to implement in the Workflow.

Ok I'll give that a shot. They are really helpful people and have gone above and beyond for me in the past so I'll see if I can get their help. 

What should I ask them for specifically? Sorry if it's too much to type, I just want to make sure I get the right info/answer. Would I ask if their apps support AppleScript to automate and connect their actions to other apps like Alfred? Thanks again! 

14 hours ago, FrancD said:

What should I ask them for specifically?

“What AppleScript would I need to run to open Audio Hijack and start recording the active microphone?

The equivalent to, in QuickTime Player: `tell application "QuickTime Player" to start (new audio recording)`”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • vitor changed the title to Start Recording — Shortcuts to record your Mac’s audio, screen, or webcam
  • 1 month later...