Trapper Dave

Alfred no longer searching emails

Hi everyone,

I've just rebuilt my machine and upgraded to v3.

Unfortunately Alfred is no longer searching for emails - which it was on this machine before I applied the licence key; I think I must have messed up a seting somewhere.

Under File Search > Don't show > I have unticked everything and I'm still not getting emails returned in the search.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Dave

@Trapper Dave Could you please provide more details so that we can help you?

- Which version of Alfred and macOS are you using?

- How are you searching? What are you typing exactly in Alfred?

- Are the emails you're hoping to find in Mail.app? Or a third-party email client?

- Were you previously using a workflow, or showing emails in your file search results?

- Please provide screenshots of your Default Results and File Search preferences so we can see what settings you've chosen

For example, if you were previously searching using a Mail.app search workflow like this one, you may need to import the workflow to get started.

If you can provide more information, we'll be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Vero

Hi Vero,

- Which version of Alfred and macOS are you using? v3.7.1 [946] 10.14.2

- How are you searching? What are you typing exactly in Alfred?  I am searching for a subject line by just typing it into Alfred.

- Are the emails you're hoping to find in Mail.app? Or a third-party email client?  It's using Alfred.

- Were you previously using a workflow, or showing emails in your file search results?  I was not, it worked on the demo version and when I only noticed the change once I'd entered my licence key.

- Please provide screenshots of your Default Results and File Search preferences so we can see what settings you've chosen.  I've attached them below

Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 14.35.22.png

4 minutes ago, Trapper Dave said:

I'm unable to upload any more screenshots due to filesize.

You can upload them to imgur (no account required). Pasting the link into the response box will load the image directly.

You can also use WebScreenshot (disclaimer: I’m the author) to auto upload the screenshot.

27 minutes ago, Trapper Dave said:

- Are the emails you're hoping to find in Mail.app? Or a third-party email client?  It's using Alfred.

Alfred isn't an email client; Are your emails in Mail.app, a third-party app like Outlook, or web-based like Gmail? This will help establish where the emails are so that we can help you work out how to ensure you can search for and find your emails :)

Cheers,
Vero

@Trapper Dave There are a few ways to search for Mail.app emails...

1. Use a workflow

Use the one I linked to earlier, or create your own. This is the tidiest and most efficient way to search for emails specifically without cluttering your results.

You can then prefix your search term with one of the terms:

• emfrom to search the sender's name and email address
  • em for a general subject + content search
  • emsubj to search specifically for a subject line

2. Add Mail results to your File Search results

• Add ~/Library/Mail/ to your Default results
  • In File Search, ensure that Emails is unchecked next to "Don't show"
  • Search by prefixing your search term with "open" (or pressing the spacebar as a shortcut)

3. Add to your default results (not recommended)

This will result in the most messy results, and I would not recommend it at all. You can add the Mail file type to the Advanced file types in Default Results, and the ~/Library/Mail/ path to your default results.  Again, I do not recommend this as finding essentials like apps amongst the overload of emails will make search far less useful.

Cheers,
Vero

I use Outlook for Mac (v16.22) and Alfred doesn't see any of the email or calendar events. I have added it to search results, or least tried to. See below, the 2011 was an older version still in finder.

image.png.bd9602fdb7c521be25935ec28d852694.png

I have also tried Outlook workflows, but it doesn't see the Outlook Database:

image.png.f0bf431b8201d97da6cb37d238c111b6.png

Does anyhow have any idea on how to fix this?