Sign in to follow this  
frasergraham

Search Inside Files in File Filter?

Is there a way to have File Filter search inside files? I am working on a notes search workflow for TaskPaper and FoldingText and i'd like to search inside certain file types in a particular folder. Is that possible?

Is there a way to have File Filter search inside files? I am working on a notes search workflow for TaskPaper and FoldingText and i'd like to search inside certain file types in a particular folder. Is that possible?

Is it indeed possible. Add your file filter and then go to the Advanced tab inside of it, and click the + to add a field. Add kMDItemTextContent.

That should get you going! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Thanks, that worked, but i'm not sure if it's 100%. I have files I know to contain an search term that are not being picked up. Is the search case sensitive? Are there any known quirks with the text content search?

I am looking in folders that are indexed and other queries do seem to match the contents. The files are TaskPaper and FoldingText files so they have a .tp and .ft extension and different file type but they are still just plain text inside.

Did you check over some of the Advanced options in the File Filter? Not sure what exactly it is your looking for but unpicking the Anchor setting or enabling Split on TextContent may help solve your issues?