Hotkey labels don't track keyboard layout [Fixed internally for Future Release]

deanishe

Alfred v3.8 [959]

When a workflow is used on a machine with a different keyboard layout to the one it was created with, the Hotkey labels aren't updated to reflect the character produced by the physical key it's mapped to.

For example, if I create a Hotkey for ⌘⌥; on a British keyboard and switch to a German keyboard, the Hotkey will still show the label ⌘⌥; even though I now have to press ⌘⌥Ö to trigger the Hotkey (Ö is on the same physical key as ;).

See also:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with this a bit today, and it's actually quite a tricky conundrum when everything is taken into account. Alfred stores the string at the point of setting the hotkey as this is presented to him from the API, but to map a string key value back from a keycode is not a trivial task involving UCKeyTranslate.

I'm going to contemplate the best approach to this, but it might have to be an alternative display mode which shows the original and translated codes.

• Andrew changed the title to Hotkey labels don't track keyboard layout [Fixed internally for Future Release]