PinAdd — Takes arguments as tags, and adds your browser’s frontmost tab as a pinboard bookmark

Gotta say, I am super impressed with patience and vision for the workflow. You made it so you could profit but you've kept making it better for everyone here who needs(wants) it to function a certain way. All in all it does a very good job and descriptions put it over the top in the usefulness category. I haven't tried the unread feature but I am sure that one will be another handy gem. Many thanks for staying active on this. Was super reliable and quick since your first post here but it has gotten better over time with the last few days seeing the best additions imo. Keep it up! I hope you still like it!

Thank you both for the kind words.

twinpeaks, I’m guessing that you meant to write “benefit” instead of “profit” (since that would imply some sort of financial gain, which was never the goal, but I did make this initially to scratch a personal itch).

I’m very glad you like it and find it useful, and yes, I still like the workflow (I like it even more than when I started working on it). With every feature that was requested (and the ones that I wanted for myself, like the bumps in speed) I always considered carefully how to make it work better and not break anyone else’s workflow. In this regard, it’s good that the features I use are the initial ones, as I can have a better sense of how a new one could possibly be annoying. The way it’s currently implemented also gives me the advantage of being able to add features not initially planned, like descriptions and the read later option, without compromising on performance (which is very important to me).

And who knows, maybe the fact that those features are now there will make me start using them.

I would love to be able to have different keywords for adding public or private, but something about the way this workflow is structured now makes this impossible (ie even if I switch the private keyword to something like "pp" then both "pp" and "pin" bring up both commands, with public as default) any thoughts? I know it is just pressing the down arrow, but somehow it seems cleaner to me to resolve to private bookmark adding without having to select it in the menu everytime

Actually, the way it’s structured now is what makes it easy — your solution with “pp” is almost there, I just tested it, and it only shows one option, as expected. If it’s not working for you, maybe you changed it on the wrong one. You have “pi”, “pin”, ”pin”, “configurepinadd”, in that order; it should be the second “pin”, which is the third option overall.

As long as you change the two “pin” options to have different keywords, it’ll work like you want. Keep in mind that for the workflow to keep working, they both have to start the same way as the top script filter, so simply “pp” will now work, unless you change the script filter to simply “p” (I wouldn’t recommend a single key).

So if you change the options to “pin” and “pip”, or something like that, it should work correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update.

New icon, and some changes to the code for unread bookmarks (if you wanted to add an unread bookmark without any tags or description, you’d still have to use an extra space after the period — this solves that).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update, with a few changes and a new feature.

You’ll no longer see notifications for when the command is run — it was somewhat redundant, didn’t provide any really useful information, and made it feel a bit slower than it actually is.

It now detects if the operation failed, though, and provides a fallback. Now, if adding a bookmark fails for any reason (for example, if the connection drops), you’ll get a notification, and a “PinAddRetry.command” file will be added to your Desktop (if it happens multiple times, it’ll add an entry for each failed attempt). You can double-click this file at a later time to run it, and retry adding the bookmarks.

Just installed this workflow. Very nice.

One problem, though: the `configurepinadd` keyword input was set to "No Argument" and wouldn't work till I changed it to "Argument Required".

Good catch, thank you. I was experimenting with new ways to configure the workflow, for this last update, and forgot to set that option back.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...