Web Bookmarks support for Brave

kms

I use Brave rather than Safari or Chrome, but the "Web Bookmarks" feature doesn't find my Brave Bookmarks.

Configuration:

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Brave Version 0.59.35 Chromium: 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Web Bookmarks Feature is Configured as follows:

Sources: "Google Chrome Bookmarks"

Show Bookmarks "via keyword" = "bm"

Open Bookmarks "in macOS default browser"

If I add a bookmark to brave and search for it using "bm" it is not found.

If I add the same bookmark to Chrome, it works fine.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:24 AM, Vero said:

@kms There's a workflow here for Brave bookmarks, which you may want tot try:

At this time, we are not planning on adding Brave browser support, as it isn't widely used, but we always keep an eye on stats and demand. :)

Cheers,
Vero

This seems to just search browser history, not bookmarks... or am I missing something?

Launchbar supports importing a bookmarks.html file, which Brave can of course export (along with any other browser). Perhaps at the very least Alfred could offer this, that way users could use any browser they want and see its bookmarks in Alfred?

Edited by mattbovett

13 hours ago, mattbovett said:

Odd, this script works on my home computer, but not my work computer. My Brave bookmarks don't appear after typing "bm" and then something else. I'm rebuilding my metadata... Any other ideas if that doesn't work?

Try with different keywords or at least more sophisticated ones. To do this you need to open Alfred Preferences > Workflows > Search for "Search Brave History" and open Script Filter. There you can change "bm" to something more sophisticated and retry. 

Ahh, my bookmarks are in ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser-Dev/Default/Bookmarks

(...not "Brave-Browser/Default/Bookmarks".)

They also have a Nightly build now that some people may use. Probably would use Brave-Browser-Nightly, but not sure. Any way to add a preference to specify what version you are using, or maybe it can check multiple folders somehow?

Thanks for the quick responses!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, Acidham said:

Thank you for reporting!

Added support for nightly builds... please give it a try and let me know. 

Don't suppose there is a way to make it learn to surface certain bookmarks to the top that I access more frequently?

Everything is possible but brave is not holding that data. In history (hist) the frequency is respected, means it's sorted based on how many times you requested a certain url but not for bookmarks.

1 minute ago, Acidham said:

Everything is possible but brave is not holding that data. In history (hist) the frequency is respected, means it's sorted based on how many times you requested a certain url but not for bookmarks.

I thought maybe Alfred could keep track of how many times I select a particular bookmark and sort ones that were selected most often to the top. No problem if not. Thanks for the response!

• 1 year later...

@ke11 Your thread was merged with the existing one about Brave bookmarks support. Have a look at the workflows suggested above.

As Brave doesn't currently make the bookmarks data readily available for third-parties to use, there's no built-in integration planned for that browser. 

Cheers,
Vero

42 minutes ago, Acidham said:

FYI this is the new version supporting Brave next to other browsers: https://github.com/Acidham/chromium-hist-bookmarks

Hello, Thank you for the workflow. It look very useful and supports many browsers. I would really like to use it for Firefox bookmarks and history but It doesn't work for me. Not only for Firefox but also for Chrome. I am on 10.15.7 Catalina and Alfred 4.2.1. You can find the debugger output below.

[13:48:11.784] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'test'
[13:48:11.960] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Script with argv 'test' finished
[13:48:11.965] ERROR: Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/chrom_bookmarks.py", line 12, in <module>
    from Alfred3 import Items as Items
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/Alfred3.py", line 7, in <module>
    from plistlib import readPlist, writePlist
ImportError: cannot import name 'readPlist' from 'plistlib' (/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.9/3.9.0_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/plistlib.py)
[13:48:19.497] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'test'
[13:48:19.652] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Script with argv 'test' finished
[13:48:19.657] ERROR: Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/chrom_history.py", line 12, in <module>
    from Alfred3 import Items as Items
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/Alfred3.py", line 7, in <module>
    from plistlib import readPlist, writePlist
ImportError: cannot import name 'readPlist' from 'plistlib' (/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.9/3.9.0_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/plistlib.py)

I seem that the workflow picks up python version 3.9 but it is expected to pick python version 3.7.3. I do not have version 3.9 installed on my computer therefore I cannot test. 

Let's do the following: 

1. open py3.sh in workflow directory

2. change PREFER_LATEST to 0

3. Delete directory ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.apple.alfred.workflow.chromium-hist

4. exec workflow again

I hope python 3.7.3 will be set as python3 version

2 hours ago, Acidham said:

I seem that the workflow picks up python version 3.9 but it is expected to pick python version 3.7.3. I do not have version 3.9 installed on my computer therefore I cannot test. 

Let's do the following: 

1. open py3.sh in workflow directory

2. change PREFER_LATEST to 0

3. Delete directory ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.apple.alfred.workflow.chromium-hist

4. exec workflow again

I hope python 3.7.3 will be set as python3 version

Thank you for your help and the workflow. It works very well now. BM search is very fast and seems reliable. But history search is pretty slow, it takes almost 10 sec to give some results. Is it expected? I think it uses python 3.8.2 this time as I understand from debugger output.

[16:41:04.090] Logging Started...
[16:41:35.225] Firefox&Chromium Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'test'
[16:41:43.714] Firefox&Chromium Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Script with argv 'test' finished
[16:41:43.727] STDERR: Firefox&Chromium Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] PYTHON VERSION: 3.8.2 (default, Sep 24 2020, 19:37:08)
[Clang 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.21)]
/Users/Ceyhun/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xz1shlht.default-release/places.sqlite → found

select DISTINCT url, title, visit_count
                FROM moz_places JOIN moz_historyvisits
                WHERE title != '' order by last_visit_date DESC LIMIT 500;
[16:41:43.732] Firefox&Chromium Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] {
    "items": [
        {
            "title": "Decentraleyes | Testing Utility",
            "subtitle": "(Visits: 61) https://decentraleyes.org/test/",
            "arg": "https://decentraleyes.org/test/",
            "quicklookurl": "https://decentraleyes.org/test/"
        },
        {
            "title": "LocalCDN",
            "subtitle": "(Visits: 5) https://www.localcdn.org/test/cspcheck",
            "arg": "https://www.localcdn.org/test/cspcheck",
            "quicklookurl": "https://www.localcdn.org/test/cspcheck"
        }
    ]
}

yes I encountered the same and it seems that Firefox history is slowing it down. Once I disabled Firefox in settings history search is fast. 

You can play around with sql_fire_limit which also speeds up history search but the fastest experience that you can get is by disabling Firefox from history search. 

38 minutes ago, Acidham said:

yes I encountered the same and it seems that Firefox history is slowing it down. Once I disabled Firefox in settings history search is fast. 

You can play around with sql_fire_limit which also speeds up history search but the fastest experience that you can get is by disabling Firefox from history search. 

Yes it is fast when Firefox is disabled but how do I exclude it only from the history search? It seems like if I value it to False, then It doesn't search for bookmarks too. The main reason I use the workflow is to use it on Firefox. But I would like to know if I can use bm and bh for different browsers since bh is not really usable for FF.

15 hours ago, JJJJ said:

But I would like to know if I can use bm and bh for different browsers since bh is not really usable for FF.

You can assign the same keyword to multiple Script Filters and see results from both when you use the keyword. So you can use different workflows to provide results from different browsers.

My Firefox Assistant workflow has a very fast Firefox bookmark and history search. However, it's rather high-maintenance and won't work if Firefox isn't running, so perhaps a poor choice.

2 hours ago, deanishe said:

You can assign the same keyword to multiple Script Filters and see results from both when you use the keyword. So you can use different workflows to provide results from different browsers.

My Firefox Assistant workflow has a very fast Firefox bookmark and history search. However, it's rather high-maintenance and won't work if Firefox isn't running, so perhaps a poor choice.

Thank you for the solution to use it for different browsers.

I have tried your workflow first but it didn't work for me. We have discussed it on your topic and couldn't find a solution. I would like to try it again for Firefox history if you release an update.

Edited by JJJJ