Web Bookmarks support for Brave

kms

4 hours ago, JJJJ said:

I would like to try it again for Firefox history if you release an update.

Oh, right, yeah. I doubt that any update will fix the issue you're having because I've no idea what it is. It's basically impossible to debug the extension–workflow connection in Firefox, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

@Chris Spiegl Sorry to repeat my answer from November, but Brave doesn't currently make the bookmarks data readily available for third-parties to use, so there's no bookmarks integration for that particular browser.

It would be a good idea to make your voice heard to the Brave developers, as it'll be significantly easier for workflows and integrations  to work and be maintainable if the bookmarks data is more accessible. :)

Cheers,
Vero

Thank you @Vero for this update. I must have missed this in-between two threads I have found here.

I understand. I thought the fact that Brave is based on Chromium may mean that it is similar in terms of implementation with Bookmarks.

Do you happen to know of a public issue one can upvote to get a more consistent / open implementation happening with Brave?

Thank you again.

29 minutes ago, Chris Spiegl said:

that it is similar in terms of implementation with Bookmarks.

It is the same, but it's more complicated than how much effort it would be to add support for <Chromium-based Browser> right now. A new integration is for life, not just for Christmas.

A public API implies a certain guarantee of stability. Relying on reading an app's private data is inherently very risky because they might change or disappear at any time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just checked our site analytics before responding to make sure there hadn't been a significant shift in recent times, and currently, Safari and Chrome represent nearly 95% of Alfred's user base. Both of these browsers provide a reliable way to present bookmarks in the results.

If and when Edge, Brave or any browser, takes prevalence on macOS, we will consider supporting it, provided a legitimate, supported way to search bookmarks is available for the browser.

For transparency's sake, I posted this same answer in the Edge browser thread, as the argument is much the same: We love our users and want to make you happy. As such, it's also our responsibility to make sure that Alfred doesn't become bloated with features that become obsolete due to third-party changes, or are unsuitably niche. 

Workflows excel at filling the gap for features that are more fleeting or less stable, as users can continue to evolve their workflows to support changing apps or private APIs that could be taken away at any time.  

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks @Vero for considering this option. I know it would be the single greatest thing Alfred could do for me.

Currently there is a delay, when using this third party workflow and I also wish I didn't have to think if something is a bookmark or a file I've saved, but rather just have it all under the same Command-Space search. 

All of the code is available here so it seems like it should be easy for Alfred to implement and would only require one checkbox so it shouldn't bloat things too much, especially considering there is already a section in Alfred for Web Bookmarks. 

Anyways, I realize the Brave users are small in number. I imagine it will grow in time as people become more privacy conscious.

Edited by Awerkamp

On 2/11/2021 at 7:21 PM, Awerkamp said:

it seems like it should be easy for Alfred to implement and would only require one checkbox so it shouldn't bloat things too much, especially considering there is already a section in Alfred for Web Bookmarks. 

It is more complicated than just how easy it would be to do. Please read the thread.

This would be so good! 

That user base data can be misleading though. I'm included in that 95% as a Safari user, but that's only because this feature doesn't exist for Brave. Opening bookmarks is a huge part of how I use Alfred, so it's a major deciding factor in which browser I actually use. 

When it boils down to how I begin accessing the browser, it's either through Google Search or my rediculously large collection of bookmarks, and every now and then a link in an email. 🤷‍♂️ If the feature does get implemented, I'd close Safari immediately and change my default to Brave and it wouldn't be game changing but you'd see a shift int hat user base for sure.

Thanks for all the hard work @Vero 👍 most useful tool I've ever bought!

@dencoSeca a tip on that note:

You can already manage your bookmarks in Safari or Chrome but have Alfred open them in the "System Default Browser" which then means it would actually open in Brave if you have Brave setup as your system default.

It is inconvenient to have to manage the bookmarks in Safari and go there to make changes or add a new bookmark… but it's better than "having to use Safari" if you actually want to use Brave.

Hope that helps.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, JJJJ said:

Hello, Thank you for the workflow. It look very useful and supports many browsers. I would really like to use it for Firefox bookmarks and history but It doesn't work for me. Not only for Firefox but also for Chrome. I am on 10.15.7 Catalina and Alfred 4.2.1. You can find the debugger output below.

[13:48:11.784] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'test'
[13:48:11.960] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Script with argv 'test' finished
[13:48:11.965] ERROR: Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/chrom_bookmarks.py", line 12, in <module>
    from Alfred3 import Items as Items
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/Alfred3.py", line 7, in <module>
    from plistlib import readPlist, writePlist
ImportError: cannot import name 'readPlist' from 'plistlib' (/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.9/3.9.0_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/plistlib.py)
[13:48:19.497] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'test'
[13:48:19.652] Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Script with argv 'test' finished
[13:48:19.657] ERROR: Chromium&Firefox Bookmarks and History[Script Filter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/chrom_history.py", line 12, in <module>
    from Alfred3 import Items as Items
  File "/Users/Ceyhun/Documents/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.FBBADA4A-C051-42F1-B3CF-340DFF384FCB/Alfred3.py", line 7, in <module>
    from plistlib import readPlist, writePlist
ImportError: cannot import name 'readPlist' from 'plistlib' (/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.9/3.9.0_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/plistlib.py)

I have same error .... what is the solution?

Edited by deanishe
Remove link

59 minutes ago, Acidham said:

What version are you using for python3

plistlib.readPlist() has been deprecated since 2014 (v3.4) and was removed in 3.9. Fix the workflow to use plistlib.load() instead.

Edited by deanishe

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

plistlib.readPlist() has been deprecated since 2014 (v3.4) and was removed in 3.9. Fix the workflow to use plistlib.load() instead.

I know, I nead to change that but didn't had time ;)

Edited by Acidham

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, Vero said:

@kms There's a workflow here for Brave bookmarks, which you may want tot try:

At this time, we are not planning on adding Brave browser support, as it isn't widely used, but we always keep an eye on stats and demand. :)

Cheers,
Vero

According to Wikipedia: In November 2020, Brave reported having 20 million monthly users, and in September 2021, it passed 36 million monthly active users.

@Vero, are there numbers large enough for native Brave integration implementation in Alfred?

17 minutes ago, Vero said:

@hpiwzqda Your best bet is to use the excellent Chromium Bookmarks & History Search workflow here:

https://alfred.app/workflows/acidham/chromium-bookmarks-and-history-search/

Thank you. For now, I've made my own workflow based on a different workflow fragment (Love Alfred Workflows), that returns all bookmarks as a JSON and lets Alfred do the search result ranking. That is blazing fast.