pecheny

Force Keyboard doesn’t work after Alfred restart

Posted (edited)

This has already been reported

but nothing happened :( this bug still exists. It’s small but annoying.

I’ve ensured that the input sources checkbox is unchecked and no keyboard shortcuts for changing input sources are in conflict with Alfred’s.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Install this custom layout https://ilyabirman.ru/projects/typography-layout/download/ilya-birman-typolayout-3.6-mac.dmg  (maybe works with other custom keyboard layouts too, didn’t check)

2) Add “English - Ilya Birman typography” to the system

3) Set Alfred to force it

4) Check that the force works (it works)

5) Exit Alfred and reopen it

6) Check that the force works (it doesn’t)

Edited by pecheny

@pecheny Could you please try this using one of the built-in keyboard layouts and let me know whether the behaviour is normal? I've tested this in Mojave between built-in keyboard layouts, and the behaviour is as expected.

Check that you don't have "Automatically switch to a document's input source" ticked in System Prefs > Keyboard > Input Sources, and that you have specified Alfred's Force Keyboard Layout in the advanced prefs.

When you relaunch Alfred and go to the Advanced tab, is your custom keyboard layout still selected? What about when you use a built-in keyboard layout?

I'll move this into Discussion & Help to see whether anyone else can provide input as it seems specific to custom layouts.

Cheers,
Vero

Posted (edited)

1. Yes, it works as expected with the built-in keyboard layout.

Check that you don't have "Automatically switch to a document's input source" ticked in System Prefs > Keyboard > Input Sources

I’ve already checked that at the time of writing, and mentioned it in the post ;)

When you relaunch Alfred and go to the Advanced tab, is your custom keyboard layout still selected?

Yes, it is still selected but forcing doesn’t work until i reselect it. It doesn’t happen with built-in layouts: they’re selected and forcing works.

image.png.0bd853574e352004e5eae6d2a18c3079.png

Edited by pecheny