Jump to content
Belfong

How to keep workflow updated ?

Recommended Posts

Hi there... this may be a newbie question - is there an easier way to keep all workflows updated when the author made new changes? I have Things, Spotify mini player, Cardhop, Keyboard Maestro workflows in Alfred and I have no checked whether these have been updated recently. The only way I can think of checking if they were updated is to come to the forum, look for the thread and then manually eye ball the version number. Does any of you have a better system?

Share this post


Link to post

I found Packal.org which seems to provide such a service, unfortunately, only Spotify mini is using Packal. The rest of the workflow does not seem to have a way to update itself, except manually checking the forum.. 

Share this post


Link to post

Packal is mostly dead, I’m afraid. It is unmaintained and the updater isn’t compatible with Alfred 3.

 

Many workflows include their own automatic updaters, and will let you know when a new version is available.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, Belfong said:

Hi there... this may be a newbie question - is there an easier way to keep all workflows updated when the author made new changes? I have Things, Spotify mini player, Cardhop, Keyboard Maestro workflows in Alfred and I have no checked whether these have been updated recently. The only way I can think of checking if they were updated is to come to the forum, look for the thread and then manually eye ball the version number. Does any of you have a better system?

 

What's your Things workflow?

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, xilopaint said:

 

What's your Things workflow?

I am using the Things workflow built by Arthur Pinheiro.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Things and Spotify Mini Player have auto-update features so you don't need to worry about checking the forum for updates. Don't know about the other workflows you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, deanishe said:

Packal is mostly dead, I’m afraid. It is unmaintained and the updater isn’t compatible with Alfred 3.

 

Many workflows include their own automatic updaters, and will let you know when a new version is available.

 

I'm curious. Can you point to any examples?

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, deanishe said:

 

I got very frustrated at Alfred 4 release as it hasn't addressed my expectation regarding a built-in update solution. Both Alfred-Workflow and OneUpdater are great on this, but they are unknown for most developers. An official repository + update feature are major demands in the community for years.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, xilopaint said:

An official repository + update feature are major demands in the community for years.

 

Yeah. Every other app that makes heavy use of plugins also has a mechanism for updating them. People often have dozens or scores of workflows. You can't manage that by hand. It's tedious to implement the user interface around library update mechanisms in every workflow, and OneUpdater doesn't have the smoothest UX.

 

There's a new Export Metadata… feature that exports a JSON file containing description etc. and a downloadurl.

 

Hopefully, this is the start of a move towards a real, built-in updater. It should certainly help with building indexers for workflow discovery.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...