Theme border on light theme is dark when using macOS dark mode [Fixed 4.0.2 b1085]

Jasondm007

@Andrew FWIW - I've had similar issues with fonts rendering, too.

Relatedly, are there rendering issues with other aspects of Alfred 4's themes, such as the way it deals with shadows? Since upgrading, I've noticed that Alfred's window has a small black line around it (where the border is set to zero, etc.).

I've tried creating a new theme and using the default ones, but they all seem to have it on my machine (see screenshot below w. default theme). If this is another rendering issue, do you have any suggestions for tinkering with settings to get rid of it (i.e., like the font issue discussed above)? Thanks for your help!

1492658755_ScreenShot2019-05-30at1_05_57PM.jpg.3bdb7cd4ff4b426dca726d491399e441.jpg

PS - Congrats on Alfred 4! The new features look great!

Edited by Jasondm007
better screenshot

Ah, I can see why this is happening. Now that Alfred identifies as a dark mode compatible app, macOS automatically adds the dark border around the window in dark mode. If you select a dark Alfred theme for dark mode, this masks the effect.

You actually get the same in default macOS apps which identify as dark mode compatible. Here is an example of Safari:

Light mode, dark border:

light mode.png

Dark mode, dark border:

dark mode.png

In actual fact, if you open up Spotlight over this light forum window, you see the dark border there.

I suspect the only way to "fix" this, and get the v3 behaviour, is to get Alfred to opt out of being Dark Mode compatible, but this is essentially deprecated by Apple. I'll have a think about this once the v4 release has settled down.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Andrew changed the title to Theme border on light theme is dark when using macOS dark mode

I've had a bit of a play with this and it looks like if I force the Alfred window to light mode, then just use the different themes to represent dark mode, the preferred border rendering comes back. This does leave me with no "official" way to get the current dark mode when showing Alfred's window, so there is a future proofing risk.

As we are still super busy with the Alfred 4 release, I haven't got time to really test this hard, so I'll come back to it when things calm down. Things look positive though :)

Hi @Andrew - Thanks for getting back to me, and for digging into this black border issue.

I'm glad to hear that I am not going crazy, and that it's related Mojave's dark mode (PS - I think you deleted my previous post when this thread got split).

In any case, it's very minor issue. I'm definitely not losing sleep over it. I know you've got more important things with the release, and I just wanted to give you heads up about it. Thanks again & Congrats!

• Andrew changed the title to Theme border on light theme is dark when using macOS dark mode [Fixed 4.0.2 b1085]