gandalfsaxe

[SOLVED] Invoke Alfred with only left or right opt key + space?

Posted (edited)

I invoke Alfred with Opt+Space. Is it possible to invoke Alfred only with LeftOpt + Space or RightOpt + Space ?

Otherwise, consider this a feature request 🙂

Edited by gandalfsaxe

Can any global shortcut be invoked with just a press of a modifier key? I doubt it; that’s a recipe for causing havoc on your system, and I’m betting you’d regret the decision in the first hour. On a Portuguese keyboard, for example, that’d mean typing “@” would be impossible (key combination is ⌥2).

Closest you can get is to invoke Alfred with a double tap of the ⌥ key. That is already available.

Posted (edited)

You'd need additional software like Karabiner, creating custom keyboard mappings.

For example, you could re-map the right option key to option+space.

Edited by TheDonk

On 5/31/2019 at 10:36 PM, vitor said:

Can any global shortcut be invoked with just a press of a modifier key? I doubt it; that’s a recipe for causing havoc on your system, and I’m betting you’d regret the decision in the first hour. On a Portuguese keyboard, for example, that’d mean typing “@” would be impossible (key combination is ⌥2).

Closest you can get is to invoke Alfred with a double tap of the ⌥ key. That is already available.

Not only do I invoke Alfred with ⌥+Space, I invoke 60 different things with global keyboard shortcuts, almost all of which involve the Opt key for that very reason; it does a bunch of symbols that I never need. At least on my US keyboard layout.

4 hours ago, TheDonk said:

You'd need additional software like Karabiner, creating custom keyboard mappings.

For example, you could re-map the right option key to option+space.

Thank you for the suggest, though I don't want it badly enough to install another whole app with such wide privileges :)

1 minute ago, gandalfsaxe said:

Not only do I invoke Alfred with ⌥+Space, I invoke 60 different things with global keyboard shortcuts, almost all of which involve the Opt key for that very reason; it does a bunch of symbols that I never need. At least on my US keyboard layout.

What all of those have in common is that you’re not just pressing ⌥, which is what I commented on. You’re arguing against a point I didn’t make.

9 minutes ago, vitor said:

What all of those have in common is that you’re not just pressing ⌥, which is what I commented on. You’re arguing against a point I didn’t make.

Ah I think we both spoke past each other. I always meant I wanted to invoke Alfred with only either Left Opt + Space or Right Opt + Space, not only Left Opt or Right opt. Edited for clarification.