Help finding files

Hi, Hope you can help.

I am fairly new to Alfred, so I was trying to see how it works and find files etc as this is what I mainly want to do. 

So I took a screenshot and renamed it in Finder so I could easily find it. I opened Alfred with the hot key and typed in the new name, but it could not find it, so I tried with Spotlight using the same name and it found it straightaway so what am I doing wrong? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Peter

• Andrew changed the title to Help finding files

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tried that and it worked. Just wondering why is it necessary to put the "Spacebar" click in front of the query. 

Going by what you suggested some of the other results that I got on my original search should not have appeared and yet they were similar...just wondering.

Again dealing with searches is it possible to search just one specific folder as the normal search will pull up anything that is similar in all folders.

Again is it possible to search for a specific phrase or group of words, system wide or in a specific folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Peter

@Stag prefixing a search with the spacebar is Alfred's file search mode.

You can configure Alfred to show any file types in the default results in Alfred's Features > Default Results > Advanced, however, I always recommend keeping Alfred's default results as clean as possible for all the other features, then use the file search keywords ([spacebar] / open / find / in / tags) when you want to do a file search.

For more specific file filtering requirements, take a look at the File Filter workflow object which can be configured however you like it :) 

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/inputs/file-filter/

Cheers,

Andrew