Random Album behaviour

RNRN

Hello,

In Alfred 4, the Random Album command for iTunes works intermittently. I can get a new album in the Alfred playlist and it starts playing, though strangely when you go to iTunes, it displays the playlist BELOW Alfred, so you don't see the right album or songs...

After choosing a few albums, the feature stops working. I enter "random" and the music in the Alfred playlist doesn't change and no music plays.

My workaround is to close out Alfred and iTunes, which does not always work and I need to try as few times.

I should note that I do not use the mini-player.

Thank you.

Richard

@RNRN Could you please take a look at a couple of settings first, to ensure everything's how it should be?

• In iTunes itself, go to Preferences > Advanced, and ensure that the box for "Share iTunes Library XML with other apps" is ticked
  • In Alfred's preferences, Features > iTunes > Advanced, check that the Library XML is the same
  • I know you said you don't use the Mini Player, but pop up the Mini Player and press Cmd + R to refresh the cache and ensure you're up to date

This first ensures that your library is correct and matching, and that Alfred has access to the most recent cache.  

Now that this basic setup has been checked, do albums continue playing as expected? If not, could you please open Console.app and see whether any error messages are shown either for iTunes or Alfred when you try to play a random album?

1 hour ago, RNRN said:

I can get a new album in the Alfred playlist and it starts playing, though strangely when you go to iTunes, it displays the playlist BELOW Alfred, so you don't see the right album or songs...

I can see this as well in Mojave; It seems to be an iTunes bug, but we'll take a look and see if it can be worked around. As far as I can see though, it doesn't stop albums from playing as expected to the end :)

Cheers,
Vero

Hi,

1 was ticked, 2 had the library.

I refreshed the cache (which I had tried before). 

I tried another random album and it worked (though again in iTunes the playlist below was showing).

I'll keep trying over the next few days and will report if/when I have a problem.

Thanks for the rapid reply. Have a great weekend!

Richard

• Andrew changed the title to Random Album behaviour