Typing Lag on Alfred 4

I'm currently on Alfred 4.0.2 [1088] (though this was also the case on Alfred 3).

I get about half a second of lag when typing. Only the first letter of my query shows, and then a moment later the rest of what I typed appears.

I read all of the posts about disabling blur. When I was on Alfred 3, I did that to no avail. I gave up on the issue when I saw that Alfred 4 was coming out, figuring it would probably be fixed.

ow, I'm on Alfred 4, and the typing lag issue persists. Also, I do not see the same blur option to even try to see if disabling works.

Any advice?

@seanwes lag like this is unusual, and most the time, it can be attributed to the macOS indexing / query setup. First thing to try would be to rebuild your Mac's metadata index using the shortcut in Alfred's Advanced preferences.

If that doesn't work, let me know :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Unfortunately, the issue persists after following your suggestion. What is the next step?

What I've included below is just for anyone else in the future who finds this post from a search.

___

I had trouble rebuilding the index initially—I got this message in Terminal when I first attempted:

rm: /.Spotlight-V100: Operation not permitted

I discovered it's because macOS Mojave is quite strict about which apps have Full Disk Access.

After I did the following, I was able to rebuild the index:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy (Tab) > Full Disk Access > (Click "+" and add Terminal).

So the good news is, I was able to rebuild the index after doing this. The bad news is, doing so did not solve my typing lag issue.

@seanwes the next thing would be to temporarily reset Alfred's preferences to see if it's a misconfiguration or corruption.

Quit Alfred then open Finder to ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/. Move Alfred.alfredpreferences and prefs.json temporarily to another folder (e.g. your desktop) and then restart Alfred.

Is the lag still there?

Cheers,

Andrew

• 5 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 3:28 PM, Andrew said:

@seanwes the next thing would be to temporarily reset Alfred's preferences to see if it's a misconfiguration or corruption.

Quit Alfred then open Finder to ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/. Move Alfred.alfredpreferences and prefs.json temporarily to another folder (e.g. your desktop) and then restart Alfred.

Is the lag still there?

Cheers,

Andrew

^^^^ This solved my lag issues!  Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mac OSX High Sierra user.

Alfred 4.5 (1253)

Sync set to Dropbox Folder (See Advanced/Sync/Set Preferences Folder)

When I hit Cmd spacebar (my Alfred hotkey), I have an occasional delay before the Alfred popup appears. (Didn't occur on OSX Sierra). This often ends up with me typing into the open app rather than the Alfred popup which is a bit annoying.

I have tried all the solutions mentioned above with no success and am hoping my solution below will fix this issue .. time will tell 🙂

I have set the preferences folder to a local folder  'Alfred Backup' .. so my Alfred Preferences are backed up to this local folder not Dropbox

I think this may have solved the lag which I suspect has something to do with Dropbox.

It means I am no longer syncing to Dropbox so if I make any changes to my settings or workflows then I have to manually copy them to my other Macs which is not ideal.

My testing plan is

Week 1  -  try this out and see if the lag problem is eliminated.

Week 2 -  If week 1 test is ok then I will try using another syncing service (pCloud) and see if the lag re-appears

I'll report back in a couple of weeks with how this went.

Just now, adxsoft said:

When I hit Cmd spacebar (my Alfred hotkey), I have an occasional delay before the Alfred popup appears.

If you're using Cmd + Space and seeing slowness in Alfred appearing, it may be due to a hotkey conflict with either the Siri feature, Spotlight, or a third-party app also using Cmd + Space as hotkey combo.

This page is the best place to start:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/cmd-space/

Cheers,
Vero

• 3 weeks later...