Chrome browser instance not opening with 1Password and Alfred 4

BrutusBuckeye

Sorry if this is something addressed, but I didn't see anything in the forums like this. I was using Alfred 3 and the 1Password integration was working fine ("1p") with Chrome. It would always bring up a new Chrome window and launch the specific login. However, with Alfred 4, I'm seeing some strange behavior where it LOOKS like Chrome is starting up but no window comes up. I see the Chrome menu at the top of the screen but no window. If I do a command-N I get a new Chrome window right away and then I can do the 1p command in Alfred. But obviously this is a painful workaround. 

If anyone has any thoughts on what this could be or what I need to do to get this working, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm using the latest Alfred 4 build and as I said, this was working with no issue in Alfred 3. 

Thanks!

@BrutusBuckeye Welcome to the forum!

Alfred no longer has control over this in 1Password 7 and up; We simply pass your selection to 1Password to deal with, so Alfred isn't in control of what happens after this point.

Alfred uses this URL scheme to pass them on to 1PW:

onepassword://open_and_fill/

You'll need to raise this with the 1PW team to find out more about why Chrome isn't behaving as expected when launching the 1PW URLs.

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks for the response, Vero...

So if it's a 1Password 7 issue, why didn't I have the issue with 1Password 7 with Alfred 3? I've only seen this behavior since upgrading to Alfred 4 which is why I started this here. I can certainly ask 1 Password but it seems coincidental that the behavior only occurred after the upgrade. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Brutus

@BrutusBuckeye You can always re-launch Alfred 3 to test this. I suspect that something has changed in 1Password or Chrome recently, resulting in this change in behaviour.

For what it's worth, I've tested this on macOS Mojave using 1Password 7, both with Chrome completely quit, and just without a current window. The behaviour is exactly as expected, with Chrome opening a new window/tab and the 1Password browser plugin filling in the details. I can't speak for 1Password, but perhaps the browser plugin needs updating.

Just to reiterate, Alfred doesn't control the behaviour after you've selected the bookmark you want to open; It's then down to your browser, 1Password and the 1PW browser plugin to launch the window and fill in the login details.

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks again, Vero...

One thing I did change in the 1Password settings was to change the "Open logins in" setting to new window rather than new tab. That seems to be helping quite a bit as well. I'll definitely launch a ticket with 1Password to see what they say as well but at least this seems to be getting me around the issue I was having after the upgrade. Thanks for all your help.

Brutus