Appu Mohan

File actions - Email using default mail client.

Posted (edited)

In file actions if i activate email to an address the apple mail opens, i didn't find any option to set that to default mail client.

If i use keyword "email" directly in alfred default mail client is opening. 

Please add the functionality to use default mail client in file actions.

Edited by Appu Mohan

Which email program are you having problems with?

When you just send an email, Alfred asks macOS to open a mailto: URL, and it passes the URL to whichever email program you have set as your default.

To send an attachment, Alfred needs to use an application-specific plugin because there is no standard way to tell an email program to attach a file.

This also requires your email program to have a suitable API, which most unfortunately don't have.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, deanishe said:

Which email program are you having problems with?

When you just send an email, Alfred asks macOS to open a mailto: URL, and it passes the URL to whichever email program you have set as your default.

To send an attachment, Alfred needs to use an application-specific plugin because there is no standard way to tell an email program to attach a file.

This also requires your email program to have a suitable API, which most unfortunately don't have.

I am using Spark, mostly because it syncs email signatures in my android device also. 

I dont like the interface of the apple mail. 

It opens apple mail  for email option in "file actions" , direct "email" entry in alfred opens up default mail client.

Edited by Appu Mohan

Posted (edited)

@Appu Mohan, some time ago I did a plugin for Spark to work with Alfred. You can have a look at the attached discussion link for the download file and how to install it. But in short, download the applescript file here and drop it into your folder at `~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Plugins/Email/Spark.applescript`

Hope this helps!

Edited by GuiB
added instruction

1 hour ago, Appu Mohan said:

Any way to set spark for this (http://www.packal.org/workflow/mailapp-search) work flow ? 

This is a different problem. This is a workflow that is simply a file scanner that is set to scan a specific kind of files in a specific directory ( ~/Library/Mail ). This is a specific configuration that work with Apple Mail since Mail put its email database inside a folder hierarchy composed of .emlx files which can be directly accessed by Finder.

Spark uses a different database composed of SQLite files. Therefore, the workflow you are linking (or a modified version) can't be used with Spark and you would need to create a new one that can interface with the SQLite database. If you want to go this route and create your own workflow, you can have a look and find Spark's data folder here: ~/Library/Group Containers/3L68KQB4HG.group.com.readdle.smartemail

Thanks for the detailed reply. If you ever come across any such workflow for spark pls share it with me. Bcoz me creating one is out of the picture 😄