Move file not always working

ichibod

File moving does not always work, as in the file is not moved, and remains in the original folder.

Fails if a file has the same name to the directory

Fails sometimes to another drive

Can we get a dialog box to overwrite the file if it exists?

Thanks,

Ryan

File moving does not always work, as in the file is not moved, and remains in the original folder.

Fails if a file has the same name to the directory

Fails sometimes to another drive

Can we get a dialog box to overwrite the file if it exists?

Thanks,

Ryan

There are a few shortcomings due to the way AppleScript is operating (i.e. moving to an external drive, AppleScript leaves the original for safety). I aim to improve these for a 2.x release :)

+1 to this request - I used Launchbar to do this all the time, when installing new versions of downloaded software. It is extremely useful to highlight a file in my Downloads folder or on a DMG, hit a hot key, tab, then a few letters of the target directory, return, and pick Move

or Copy with a keystroke - getting prompted if I'm overwriting the old version of the file. Right now in Alfred I need to delete the old version before copying/moving the new one in, which is quite irritating.

Here are some common failure modes with "move" to think about: (most apply to copying as well).

-target file exists, so prompt needed to cancel/overwrite/copy with new name.

-authentication needed to write to the target directory or overwrite the target file

- trying to move from a read-only directory (like a locked DMG) - optionally copy instead, rather than fail. (Launchbar doesn't do this right, but Alfred could)

- progress notification for long moves/copies (ditto)

And, more ambitiously:

- Possibility to choose source file, choose target location, then choose action? (Like Launchbar) - options might include move, copy, create alias, create symbolic link, or even "Drag" to get the move-on-same-volume-but-copy-across-volumes" behavior that the Finder uses.

Thanks for your attention - this is my one big friction point in making the jump from Launchbar.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There are a few shortcomings due to the way AppleScript is operating (i.e. moving to an external drive, AppleScript leaves the original for safety). I aim to improve these for a 2.x release :)

I'm running Alfred 2.2 (243) and when I try to move a file to a location where a file with the same name already exists... nothing happens! Both files remain untouched.

Are you planning to fix this sometime Andrew?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

What's the status on the move to a different drive issue? It's driving me nuts. My computer has four internal drives and one external drive, so the Move to… command is basically a copy command that might once in a blue moon delete the original file.

With the current architecture (Alfred asking Finder to move the file using AppleScript), Finder chooses to copy instead of move much like when you drag a file to an external drive (without using a modifier key).

I plan on overhauling the file interactions, interacting with the filesystem directly rather than using Finder... but as this isn't a trivial task, it's targeted for a major Alfred release rather than a maintenance release.

• 3 weeks later...