On-the-fly control of keeping Alfred window open on actioning result

vitor

The “Don’t close the Alfred window on actioning result” Window Behaviour option choice is always a hard one for me.

SrqNH9p.png

I have multiple nodes in multiple Workflow where I want both behaviours at different times. One way to achieve this is to add a new connection with a modifier that performs the opposite behaviour.

4lcBcXx.png

This is hacky at best, and needs to be added manually each time to each specific option.

My suggestion is a new behaviour with a global shortcut. Let’s say we’re on a result window that typically closes when picking a result. We double press ⌘ (or any other shortcut) and get a small padlock on the top right (I’ve used icons from my Workflows because I had them on hand).

xF508ux.png

The window will stay in the “Don’t close the Alfred window on actioning result” mode until we dismiss it, at which point everything goes back to normal.

I am well aware how useful a generalised "Keep Alfred Open for a bit" would be, and do have some internal notes on this already. Any change like this would be a holistic change within the framework, so would be quite involving.

Either way, it's on my radar.

• 3 years later...

Bumped into this today. I have a workflow that uses a List Filter to ask whether I want to include a link, and then a keyword node to inquire the link. If I don't want to have a link, I need the above workaround as without, when not selecting to include a link, the Alfred window remains open.

I only learned about this today, which is more than 3 years that the workflow worked as intended. Just today, I had to update all my workflows and include a modifier to close the window. I'm very puzzled about this...

Hi @vitor,

Thanks for the follow-up!

If I don't need the modifier, and I can use the utility, how can I have the window remain open for path one, and closed for path two?

0e2acc684ca53067f1a80912e0a057cd.png

The workflow can be downloaded here: https://cdn.zappy.app/296e6ea8fb5cfaef75b78d10dee312d0.zip

If I understand how this test workflow should work, I should:

1. Be able to add a note, assign it to a variable, select "yes" and then add a link, output is Path One

2. Be able to add a note, assign it to a variable, select "no" and it should output Path Two and close the Alfred window

I'm only able to close the Alfred window if I enter CMD + return (even though I didn't specify any modifier in this workflow). How come it only closes when using the CMD modifier?

How would I set up the workflow that for path one, the window remains open and I can add a link (keyword input), and how it close when selecting "No" in the List Filter action? Thanks!