haakonstorm

Need more than 9 visible results + request for Alfred API

[This is a reignition of an old thread from 2013.]

Thank you for Alfred, it's been an awesome addition over all these years and continues to improve.

I should have been an affiliate as I've generated numerous new customers over the years:)

But - see this screenshot from an iMac Pro 27" and you see the problem users with larger monitors and/or high DPI settings have:

Screenshot.thumb.png.9000fbc5c53d830d613ea8bd1e515080.png

1. Alfred is *still* after all these years - limited to 9 results, and now it's become a problem - is it on the roadmap to add the option for more results?

2. I've developed a homegrown productivity system, and Alfred is just one of many solutions running on different macs and linux instances.

I would love to see the option for my apps to connect to Alfred, submit a search term (like "mdi iconname") and get returned whatever Alfred itself is returned from its plugins and itself.

Is this possible or on the roadmap?

If not; is there any documentation for me in order to implement a rudimentary Alfred workflow parser/execution environment for text input only?

(i.e. file actions, clipboard etcetera not immediately necessary as this will be dispatched from another machine or terminal than Alfred itself).  

Thank you.

Greetings from Oslo, Norway

- Storm

38 minutes ago, haakonstorm said:

Is this possible or on the roadmap?

If not; is there any documentation for me in order to implement a rudimentary Alfred workflow parser/execution environment for text input only?

Alfred’s JSON/XML Feedback format is documented.

The execution environment is basically a standard UNIX environment. ARGV, STOUT, STDERR and a handful of environment variables.

Everything you need to run a Script Filter is built into basically every UNIX-y language.

I'm not looking to create an Alfred Workflow, I'm looking to integrate *Alfred itself* into another utility, or re-create a rudimentary environment in which my own utility can talk with workflows originally created for Alfred. If anyone has done anything like this, previous projects or blueprints would be awesome, no matter which language it's written in :)

13 hours ago, haakonstorm said:

re-create a rudimentary environment in which my own utility can talk with workflows originally created for Alfred

That's what I explained how to do.

+1 for more than 9 visible results. I made the same request in 2014. The developer has done an excellent job maintaining the app and has created a very powerful workflow platform. Given this, I am baffled as to why the number of visible results remains limited to 9, when it would probably be trivial to make the number configurable, and a higher result count would greatly enhance certain workflows (for example, one could browse a list of 10s of open browser tabs at a glance). Like OP, I would like to be able to fill up the entire vertical span of a 27-inch monitor with search results. Ideally I'd also like to be able to reduce the size of a single result line in order to increase density (by, say, providing an option to hide the subtext). Together these changes would allow one to see probably 50-100 results, similar to what one can see using a fuzzy finder in a text based environment.