How to manage open with dialog?

10 minutes ago, deanishe said:

I mean, you can tell macOS to always open a specific filetype with an application, but you can't do that with folders AFAIK.

Ah, right, I focused on the title and image and missed we were talking specifically about directories. I’m also not sure if we can do it, but considering how terrible macOS’ lockdown is getting, I’d say that if there is a way right now don’t count on it being there for long, or be prepared to need to build an entire app, sign it (don’t forget the $99/year), notarise it, sprinkle it with fairy dust, pray to The Order of the Gash, get a mortgage on your soul, and make a tutorial explaining to your users why they have to allow seventeen permission dialogs.

32 minutes ago, vitor said:

If you type in that box, Alfred will filter from all apps, not just the ones you see on the list.

Looks like a solution for me. Thank you!

If you want to make the app a permanent in the list, you need to tell macOS itself to open with the app, as that’s where Alfred takes the information from.

So, i don't know how to tell  macOS to open folders with specific app.

6 minutes ago, ErBlack said:

So, i don't know how to tell  macOS to open folders with specific app

AFAIK, the only way to tell macOS that an application can open a type of file (or folders) is by editing the app's info.plist to say that it can. But macOS will throw a fit if you edit the contents of a signed app.

You almost certainly don't want to set a different app as the default app for folders, as that's basically replacing Finder. Setting a different file manager, like Path Finder, might be okay, but I think it would be a very bad idea to tell macOS to open folders in an editor like VS Code.

There are two practical solutions, imo. The simplest is to create a File Action in a workflow, set it to open any kind of file and connect it to an Open File action set to use VS Code. Then you don't even have to use the Open with… action.

The alternative is to create your own tiny application (Script Editor can save AppleScripts as application bundles) that defines the file associations you want, and just passes everything through to VS Code (or whatever).

37 minutes ago, vitor said:

but considering how terrible macOS’ lockdown is getting

Yeah. It's starting to do my head in. I'm not happy about them inserting their proprietary co-processors into Mac, either.

I can't stand companies who think that the things they sold to me still belong to them.