Hans Tammen

Exclude files in Alfred but not in Spotlight

Hi,

I need to exclude files from searches in Alfred, but they should be available in Spotlight. Can't figure out how to do it...

I like to find my DevonThink databases, but not the individual files within them. What did I overlook?

Hans

12 minutes ago, dfay said:

tag them alfred:ignore 

That's likely not going to work super well, as it requires tagging every single file :( 

2 hours ago, Hans Tammen said:

I like to find my DevonThink databases, but not the individual files within them. What did I overlook?

The best solution is probably to set up a File Filter that only considers the DevonThink database filetype (if that's possible).

Alfred's search model is include-only: there is no blacklist/exclude option. So you have to approach it from a "how do I include only types X and Y" perspective, not a "how do I ignore type Z" one.

13 minutes ago, deanishe said:

That's likely not going to work super well, as it requires tagging every single file

I use Hazel to do this - since a DT database is a package you could just have Hazel add the tag to every file within it, I believe.

32 minutes ago, dfay said:

I use Hazel to do this

Ah, nice! It seems horribly inefficient, but as long as Andrew won't add blacklisting to Alfred, such dodgy workarounds are often all you're left with, I suppose.

Ah... I may try the Hazel approach. Inefficient maybe, but if that works it's something.

I also didn't know that there is an alfred:ignore tag, which helps with other single files that appear occasionally!

Thanks!

On 9/6/2019 at 6:10 AM, dfay said:

tag them alfred:ignore 

Is that an actual tag now? I read about putting it in the Comments field at other places

Also is this usable for folders or just for single files? 

Edited by dvcrn

1 hour ago, dvcrn said:

Is that an actual tag now? I read about putting it in the Comments field at other places

It can be either.

1 hour ago, dvcrn said:

Also is this usable for folders or just for single files?

Depends what you mean. If you add the tag/comment to a folder, that folder will not appear in Alfred. It has no effect on the contents of the folder, however.