Snippets/clipboard history not working

moiraine

@moiraine Alfred 4 has been thoroughly tested in macOS Catalina and is working smoothly.

There are a few things you need to do to use Clipboard History and Snippets, so take a look at the relevant setup steps below:

1. Grant Alfred permissions:

You'll need to ensure you've granted Alfred the necessary permissions. You can access this list of permissions from the General tab in Alfred's prefs:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/getting-started/permissions/#integration

Specifically, you need to ensure that you've granted Accessibility.

2. Enable Clipboard History:

Clipboard History isn't saved automatically (for your privacy) so you need to enable it:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/clipboard/#clipboard-history

Once it's enabled, you'll see your copied items appear in the clipboard.

3. Snippets expansion:

Snippets expansion also needs to be activated:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/snippets/auto-expansion/

Make sure your snippets are ticked for auto-expansion as well, and that you're typing the correct keyword.

If you're still having any issues, please take a look at the troubleshooting guides linked from each of the Clipboard and Snippets links above, and provide more details as to what is and isn't working. I'll then be happy to help you further :)

[Moving this to Discussion & Help, as it isn't a bug issue]

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero Thanks! Sorry for being a bit unclear, I had clipboard/snippets working before in macOS 10.14 but now it's stopped working since I upgraded to the macOS 10.15/Catalina public beta 4. I do have all the permission enabled. Can this move back to bug issue even if it may be related to using a beta macOS? Thanks a lot!

@moiraine Given we've tested this feature quite thoroughly on Catalina, I'm leaning towards being an issue on your Mac rather than a broader Catalina issue. :)

Snippets and Clipboard History are two quite independent features, so if you're having issues with both:

• Have you changed/remapped the Cmd + V default paste shortcut in macOS?
  • Do you have any other keyboard modifiers or clipboard managers that could be interfering with normal paste operations? If that's the case, try quitting or disabling them.

If you've upgraded from 10.14 to 10.15 beta, it'll be worth going back through the permissions process I outlined, as it's possible for permissions to become corrupted on update.

Cheers,
Vero

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, Vero said:

@moiraine Given we've tested this feature quite thoroughly on Catalina, I'm leaning towards being an issue on your Mac rather than a broader Catalina issue. :)

Snippets and Clipboard History are two quite independent features, so if you're having issues with both:

• Have you changed/remapped the Cmd + V default paste shortcut in macOS?
  • Do you have any other keyboard modifiers or clipboard managers that could be interfering with normal paste operations? If that's the case, try quitting or disabling them.

If you've upgraded from 10.14 to 10.15 beta, it'll be worth going back through the permissions process I outlined, as it's possible for permissions to become corrupted on update.

Cheers,
Vero

I saw the same issue as moiraine, on Catalina (non-beta). Removing all Alfred permissions via system preferences, re-adding them, and restarting Alfred restored both snippet expansion and completion. Everything works as it did pre-Catalina

• 1 month later...

I'm having exactly the same problem having just moved to Catalina.

Selecting a snippet using a hotkey used to actually paste the snippet into the application but now it only seems to copy it to the clipboard so I have to separately do Cmd-V to paste the snippet.

Same issue with Cmd-Option-C to get something from clipboard history. This seems to now only copy the item from clipboard history into the main clipboard and I have to use Cmd_V to actually paste into my applications.

Alfred 4 is defined in the Accessibility list and I have restarted Alfred after doing this just to make sure.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, dhjdhj said:

Alfred 4 is defined in the Accessibility list and I have restarted Alfred after doing this just to make sure.

As suggested to earlier users, try removing and re-adding Alfred in the permissions; When upgrading to Catalina, it seems some users' permissions become corrupted and macOS "forgets" the permissions. Re-granting permissions seems to have solved the issue for everyone.

Cheers,
Vero

• 6 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 6:30 AM, dhjdhj said:

I'm having exactly the same problem having just moved to Catalina.

Selecting a snippet using a hotkey used to actually paste the snippet into the application but now it only seems to copy it to the clipboard so I have to separately do Cmd-V to paste the snippet.

Same issue with Cmd-Option-C to get something from clipboard history. This seems to now only copy the item from clipboard history into the main clipboard and I have to use Cmd_V to actually paste into my applications.

I'm having the same problem here but I just restored to a new machine with Catalina (10.15.6 -> 10.15.6) with a Time Machine backup.

Alfred 4 was working just fine on the other Mac but now, I'm having the same issue as above. I can see my clipboard history, I can hit return...nothing happens...but it is on the clipboard so I can command paste it. I've tried all different combinations of removing and adding permissions, restarting Alfred, the Mac. No avail.

@Stephyn B Welcome to the forum!

As per my suggestion two posts ago, please follow this step:

On 1/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Vero said:

As suggested to earlier users, try removing and re-adding Alfred in the permissions; When upgrading to Catalina, it seems some users' permissions become corrupted and macOS "forgets" the permissions. Re-granting permissions seems to have solved the issue for everyone.

When upgrading or restoring from a Time Machine backup, Catalina forgets permissions, so you need to reset them.

This is all you need to do to get started again :)

Cheers,
Vero