Upgrade macOS catalina and Alfred 4, Alfred couldn't switch the window to emacs

Welcome @evan,

That’s not enough information for us to debug the issue. Per your description, this seems to be related solely to macOS and not Alfred. What do you mean when you say you “couldn't switch the window to emacs”? What exactly was your setup and what were your steps?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I have a workflow that used to launch Emacs if it wasn't open, and switch focus to it if it was open:

image.png.636b73a4d08ee6576df320627d8524d8.png

This worked on Mojave. On Catalina, the shortcut launches the app if Emacs isn't yet running. But if Emacs is running, the shortcut doesn't do anything.

Edited by patbl

Could you please test what happens if you try launching Emacs from Finder by double clicking the app? I suspect you won't get focus in this situation either (i.e. a little Emacs / Catalina bug).

If so, perhaps instead of a Launch Apps / Files, you could use a Run AppleScript in Alfred with something like:

tell applications "Emacs" to activate

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Could you please test what happens if you try launching Emacs from Finder by double clicking the app? I suspect you won't get focus in this situation either (i.e. a little Emacs / Catalina bug).

In fact, that works as expected. Clicking it the first time launches Emacs, and clicking it subsequent times switches focus to Emacs.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

If so, perhaps instead of a Launch Apps / Files, you could use a Run AppleScript in Alfred with something like:

tell applications "Emacs" to activate

Thanks, that works! That's good enough for me.

4 hours ago, Toontje said:

MacVim is installed using homebrew but there is no icon/.app in Applications. Therefor you cannot drag MacVim into the Launch Apps object.

There's still a MacVim.app bundle somewhere. On my machine, it's in /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/…. And if Alfred or Spotlight can find it, you can also drag it from their results lists.

Was still was suffering from the inability to find/raise emacs from Alfred and found this solution:

% cd /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS
% mv Emacs Emacs-launcher
% mv Emacs-x86_64-10_14 Emacs
% cd /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/
% rm -rf _CodeSignature

This worked on my install from https://emacsformacosx.com/ and according to the blog post, should also work emacs installed from brew.

Thanks Chris Farber!  -->  https://spin.atomicobject.com/2019/12/12/fixing-emacs-macos-catalina/

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

With emacs-plus and emacs-mac problem still exists, added every path I could into Alfred's scope, no results. Catalina 10.15.5.

They only workaround that work for me is to create workflow with name "Emacs" that launches Emacs app.

Edited by Newareaton