[SOLVED] Apps in main application folder not showing up

Rolli

Firstly, I am running Catalina v10.15. When I try to open a third-party application such as Typora, I only get the following example

[/System/Volumes/Data/Applications/Typora.app]

Alfred 4 will not show any third-party application in the results. The built-in apps that I have tried do show but way down the list, the top item being as above.

I have checked the Alfred website and I do have a valid Powerpack license for Alfred v4, and I have checked Spotlight and it finds the application in /Applications folder without any problem. However, I did migrate my Alfred v3 settings when installing v4, if this has any relevance to my problem.

Under search scope the MacOS applications folder is checked, and I added my Applications folder to the list to be searched, just in case. Launching the app using either the Finder or using the above available command once, does not change anything. I have typed  Reload into Alfred but, again, this does not solve the problem.

Any further ideas would be much appreciated.

Edited by Rolli
Forgot I had used the Reload option

@Rolli Welcome to the forum! As well as the suggestion Vitor made, it may be that your search scope doesn't include the new apps path required by Catalina.

If you open the preferences to Features > Default Results, ensure that the "macOS Applications folder" checkbox is ticked. 

Beyond that, if you go through the macOS index rebuild from Alfred's Advanced preferences, do you see any error messages in Terminal? It may be that there's a deeper indexing issue on your Mac or a botched Catalina install.

Cheers,
Vero

23 minutes ago, vitor said:

What about @Vero’s suggestions? Did any of those work? Please let us know if you need clarification on any of the steps.

No they didn't. The "macOS Applications folder" checkbox is ticked. Going through the macOS index rebuild from Alfred's Advanced preferences, there are no error messages in Terminal.

I saw in another post, about problems finding apps with Alfred, the Alfred metadata tool, so I ran it to check. Attached is the output for the Typora app.

The one thing that I did do prior to installing Alfred v4, was to uninstall v3 using a third-party uninstall app. I don’t see why this should have any relevance, but I thought I would mention it.

Spotlight finds the apps without a problem and Alfred finds the apps that come with MacOS, such as Notes, Mail, Calendar, etc., but not any third-party apps that I have installed.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.13.45 PM.png

Edited by Rolli
spelling mistake
  • vitor changed the title to [SOLVED] Apps in main application folder not showing up

Hey there,

i have the same Problem. After updating to Catalina 10.15 I have installed Alfred the first time. (4.0.5)

The CheckBox 'macOS Application folder' is checked. I have reloaded the Alfred Cache and I have cleared the Application Cache.

Spotlight can find the app but Alfred doesn't.

Any further ideas?

Sebastian

@Quintos How long ago did you update to macOS Catalina? Did you give your Mac sufficient time to rebuild the index, which macOS will generally do after an upgrade.

If it's been more than a day or two, I'd recommend rebuilding your Mac's index; Because Spotlight has a cache of apps at the moment doesn't mean the underlying index is necessarily complete and uncorrupted following the upgrade. You can do this from Alfred's Advanced preferences. Keep an eye on any error messages in Terminal relating to the index.

Finally, after the rebuild completes, type "reload" into Alfred to refresh the app index.

If the issue persists, please install the Metadata tool, drag in an app Alfred can't find and paste the results in your reply so that we can take a look at what metadata macOS is providing.

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

Cheers,
Vero