Auto Dark Mode

juanra

Hello guys,

Do you see an option feasible to support the native auto dark mode that MacOS Catalina has?

Or maybe adding an option that the user can select a theme for light/dark UI, and let Alfred auto change between each using the OS setting?

Best Regards,

J.

• 9 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 2:45 AM, Andrew said:

@juanra Alfred already has this in Alfred 4. Simply select a different Alfred theme when macOS is in Light / Dark modes and Alfred will remember.

Wait, seriously?! 

I think a slightly more intentional approach would be to allow each theme to include Dark and Light variants... Would that be possible?

On 8/4/2020 at 7:00 AM, chris said:

I think a slightly more intentional approach would be to allow each theme to include Dark and Light variants... Would that be possible?

That doesn’t add much to the feature. You can already duplicate themes and alter them from there, so what exactly would this request do? I do mean specifically how do you see it working?

17 hours ago, vitor said:

That doesn’t add much to the feature. You can already duplicate themes and alter them from there, so what exactly would this request do? I do mean specifically how do you see it working?

I realize this may seem lazy, but this feature would automatically switch to the Dark Mode version of a theme when my OS switches; when it reverts to Light Mode, my Alfred theme would automatically do the same. This is becoming the norm for most apps (they either follow the system appearance or allow you to override it on an individual basis).

It just seems like Theme designers should be able to bundle both light and dark versions of their themes and if Alfred is set to match the System Appearance, then the theme would automatically toggle between light and dark modes. 

image.png.8d7e0c4be1bb80159d3337e37985901c.png

1 hour ago, chris said:

This is becoming the norm

For apps that only have one dark mode and one light one. It doesn't translate so naturally to apps that support theming.

1 hour ago, chris said:

It just seems like Theme designers should be able to bundle both light and dark versions of their themes and if Alfred is set to match the System Appearance, then the theme would automatically toggle between light and dark modes. 

How would your "bundled themes" work if I only want to use the light version of theme A, but the dark version of theme B?

Because you can't take away users' ability to choose whichever themes they want.

Seems to me that being able to bundle dark & light versions of themes together will still leave you with "Theme X Light" and "Theme X Dark" in the themes lists. So what have you saved?

Edited by deanishe