Dr. Woo

Spotify Web Player: Control via keyboard shortcuts via Alfred?

There are several workflows for controlling the Spotify App, but is there a way to control the Spotify Web Player (in Chrome) via Keyboard shortcuts via Alfred? If not with Alfred, any other suggestions?

• Checked some Chrome extensions, but those e.g. don't let you use the Mac’s function keys.
  • http://beardedspice.github.io/ seemed to be an option, but somehow doesn't work in Catalina (no updates in 3 years).

5 hours ago, Dr. Woo said:

but is there a way to control the Spotify Web Player (in Chrome) via Keyboard shortcuts via Alfred?

There you go. I haven’t tested it on Catalina (I’m not on it), but it should work provided you gave Alfred the appropriate permissions. You may also need to activate (in Chrome) View → Developer → Allow JavaScript from Apple Events.

Keep in mind that due to a limitation in AppleScript, shortcuts may not work if you have more than one instance of Chrome open (i.e. if you have two Chrome icons in your Dock).

23 hours ago, vitor said:

There you go. I haven’t tested it on Catalina (I’m not on it), but it should work provided you gave Alfred the appropriate permissions. You may also need to activate (in Chrome) View → Developer → Allow JavaScript from Apple Events.

Thank you. It works ... but only if Chrome is in front and the Spotify Web Player the front-most tab/window. Kind of pointless. I need it to work work globally, no matter where the Web Play tab currently sits. Possible?

21 minutes ago, Dr. Woo said:

Kind of pointless.

I wouldn't say that. Vítor has done 99% of the work for you. Why don't you try to figure out the rest for yourself?

2 hours ago, Dr. Woo said:

I need it to work work globally, no matter where the Web Play tab currently sits.

That’s already how it works. However, in addition to requiring only one Chrome instance it also required there were only one window (or to be more accurate, the window ordering mattered). Download from the same URL, as that version now works on all windows (though the multiple instances limitation remains, there’s nothing we can do about it).

Excellent! Works as expected. No worries about having two Web Player instances open at once. Despite browsing with dozens of tabs open in parallel, it happens seldom.

Thank you very much.

Uhm... Sorry to bother again: Play/Pause works, but all the other commands for some reason not.

Solved. Problem was the button titles in the HTML code are partially different on the german language Web Player: Next = Weiter. Previous = Zurück. Modified the Arguments in the Alfred workflow accordingly.

Hmmm... Problem with Previous. It’s "Zurück" in the HTML code but neither of the following works:

document.querySelector('button[title="Zurück"]').click()
document.querySelector('button[title="Zurück"]').click()

I assume the ü (lower case U umlaut) is causing the problem. How to format it?

Edited by Dr. Woo

7 hours ago, Dr. Woo said:

Any idea how to fix the Umlaut problem?

You’re on your own for that one. I’ve already made two throwaway Spotify accounts to make and improve the Workflow, and have no desire to make a third one to debug a localisation issue that may lie out of our ability to fix (e.g. bug in JXA). It’s not your fault you didn’t specify you use Spotify in a non-english language (how would you know that could be relevant?), but that’s also a tad more work than what I feel like dedicating on this endeavour.