v1 style hotkeys windows brought to v2

Hi,

For the sheer number of hotkeys that I'm recreating from v1, and the already large number of workflows I'm already using (awesome stuff from people here in the forums!); it would be great if the v1 hotkeys windows was brought into v2.  Not only is it faster to setup, but it's much easier to see what is using which key combinations,  and it would help keep the volume of workflows down in the workflows screen. As well, for new Alfred users, it would be a lot easier to set up than having them have to understand the workflows. 

Hi,

For the sheer number of hotkeys that I'm recreating from v1, and the already large number of workflows I'm already using (awesome stuff from people here in the forums!); it would be great if the v1 hotkeys windows was brought into v2.  Not only is it faster to setup, but it's much easier to see what is using which key combinations,  and it would help keep the volume of workflows down in the workflows screen. As well, for new Alfred users, it would be a lot easier to set up than having them have to understand the workflows. 

Workflows can be a little daunting in the beginning but once you get used to them, they are MUCH more powerful than Alfred 1 extensions. To minimize the number of workflows listed in, I created a single workflow and then created all workflows within that single workflow. Also, have you checked in the templates section when creating workflows? By using the templates, you should be able make creating new workflows much easier.

It's also worth adding that I am going to make it easier to create simple workflows (such as hotkey to app) in a future v2 release. Hopefully make the workflow creation a single step :)

I also have some ideas of how to make keywords and hotkeys which are set, more discoverable!

Ha, I hadn't even thought of doing it that way David, great idea, I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the reply Andrew, looking forward to seeing what's next. And cheers for an incredible app, I had only gotten skin deep on Alfred v1, but now that I've spent some time going deeper on v2, I don't think I'll ever be able to go without Alfred again!

Edited by seanrwcrawford

• 3 weeks later...

Workflows can be a little daunting in the beginning but once you get used to them, they are MUCH more powerful than Alfred 1 extensions. To minimize the number of workflows listed in, I created a single workflow and then created all workflows within that single workflow. Also, have you checked in the templates section when creating workflows? By using the templates, you should be able make creating new workflows much easier.

I like the idea and potential of workflows. But I have existing hotkeys that I really wish had been brought over automatically because I need to work, not learn a new and powerful feature just to re-create something that was fast and easy in 1.0. (I looked for a simple "launch an app" template and didn't see one.)

I'm really glad to hear Andrew will focus on bringing back a simple, fast way to create simple workflows like hotkey to app. That's much more reflective of modern software design, which architects UX workflows around real world use case frequency rather than an engineer's under the hood view of functional elegance. Before I read that post, I was afraid that there was a false choice of powerful workflows vs. quick and easy hotkeys being enforced.

At the same time, I guess I'm sitting on my Powerpack 2 expenditure and getting no use out of it until that enhancement is in place, because I reeeally don't want to have to learn or take the multi-step time to recreate all my launcher hotkeys. So I'll keep using 1.4 for now. I look forward to moving to 2, maybe with some utility or ability to import existing 1.x hotkeys as workflows? Hint, hint?

I like the idea and potential of workflows. But I have existing hotkeys that I really wish had been brought over automatically because I need to work, not learn a new and powerful feature just to re-create something that was fast and easy in 1.0. (I looked for a simple "launch an app" template and didn't see one.)

I'm really glad to hear Andrew will focus on bringing back a simple, fast way to create simple workflows like hotkey to app. That's much more reflective of modern software design, which architects UX workflows around real world use case frequency rather than an engineer's under the hood view of functional elegance. Before I read that post, I was afraid that there was a false choice of powerful workflows vs. quick and easy hotkeys being enforced.

At the same time, I guess I'm sitting on my Powerpack 2 expenditure and getting no use out of it until that enhancement is in place, because I reeeally don't want to have to learn or take the multi-step time to recreate all my launcher hotkeys. So I'll keep using 1.4 for now. I look forward to moving to 2, maybe with some utility or ability to import existing 1.x hotkeys as workflows? Hint, hint?

If you are interested, I made a workflow chock full of hotkeys and 'Launch Application' objects. You still need to put your hotkeys & apps into it, but it'll give you a head-start  ;)

I never really 'released' it, but it is available for download.

Download Hotkeys by Tyler Eich

If you are interested, I made a workflow chock full of hotkeys and 'Launch Application' objects. You still need to put your hotkeys & apps into it, but it'll give you a head-start  ;)

I never really 'released' it, but it is available for download.

Download Hotkeys by Tyler Eich

Awesome, thanks for sharing Tyler.

I'd also like to note that, extensions and hotkeys weren't migrated from v1 because of the vast changes that occurred for Alfred in v2. I sat out to make a migration tool and there just was no easy way of doing it. Alfred 2 was a complete rewrite of Alfred. As mentioned, Andrew will be working toward making creating things like this much easier. If there is anything I can do to assist you, please do let me know as I would be more than happy to help. Creating a workflow to launch apps from a hotkey is actually a very simple process. I could make a short screencast to show you how if you would like?