jameskachan

Global Hotkey commands for macOS 10.15 - Podcasts

I really missing not having global hotkey commands for Podcast play/pause now that Podcasts are their own app away from iTunes.

Please enable Podcasts.app Actions - so that I can play, pause, skip, etc.

Thanks
— James

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 3.13.23 PM.png

3 hours ago, jameskachan said:

I really missing not having global hotkey commands for Podcast play/pause now that Podcasts are their own app away from iTunes.

Please enable Podcasts.app Actions - so that I can play, pause, skip, etc.

Thanks
— James

Hey James, I just looked at the Podcasts App. Apple did not include Apple Script support with that app. So it wouldn't be so straight forward sadly. Apple needs to implement Apple Script support first, otherwise it would require direct interaction with the UI.

Just now, Terminal said:

Hey James, I just looked at the Podcasts App. Apple did not include Apple Script support with that app. So it wouldn't be so straight forward sadly. Apple needs to implement Apple Script support first, otherwise it would require direct interaction with the UI.

Interesting — I assume that many of these Catalyst apps — iPadOS apps — wont have AppleScript support.

I wonder if there is some other approach to the problem.

Otherwise, perhaps the developer community can feedback to Apple about the limitations of their software approaches and make some requests.

All I know is I want this stuff to work, and be controllable.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jameskachan said:

I assume that many of these Catalyst apps — iPadOS apps — wont have AppleScript support.

As far as I’m aware, none of Apple’s do and they didn’t make it straightforward to add.

I wonder if there is some other approach to the problem.

You can fake keypresses for the app’s keyboard shortcuts, if available.

Otherwise, perhaps the developer community can feedback to Apple about the limitations of their software approaches and make some requests.

Anyone can send them feedback, including you, and you should. Apple is notoriously bad at responding to (or addressing) feedback, and they need to be hammered with the same bug report from multiple people to consider working on it. Use the Feedback Assistant app included in macOS to send them your request.