Move selected files to folder w/ File Filter

Need some help figuring out a workflow I'm working on.

In Alfred 1, and now in Alfred 2, I've always had a series of workflows whereby pressing a hotkey or entering a keyword the currently selected file (in the finder) is moved to a predetermined location. I have always used Applescript for this, as it is the only language I'm familiar with (if it can even be said I'm familiar with it…). For example:

tell application "Finder"
        move selection to "insert folder here"
end tell

This is great for most cases, as I just need a quick way to move a file from one place to another (don't want to search through  filter to choose the folder)

However, there is a case where I want to choose the folder to move the item to from a list: I have a Folder in my NAS with many subfolders, and I want to be able to invoke a keyword in alfred, see the list of folders, and choose one.

Right now, I do this all inside applescript using a  (choose from list) dialog:

on alfred_script(q)
    set destfolder to "examplefolder" as alias

set thelist to name of every folder of destfolder
    set selectedseries to (choose from list thelist) as text

move selection to "examplefolder:" & selectedseries as alias
end tell
end run

but it would obviously be much more elegant doing it through alfred.

I guess the best way is to use a script filter, but I have no idea how to write it.

I've been trying to get it done by using a File Filter, but I can't seem to get applescript to action on the output of this filter.
I fgured something like this would work:

on alfred_script(q)
set movefolder to q
     move selection to movefolder as alias
end tell
end run

But no cigar. I don't know if maybe I should use something besides {q}, or what else is going on...

Any ideas?

If it's a preset list of folders that you would use, a modified version of something like my Faves workflow may work to accomplish this. You could use a hotkey to grab the selection and pass that to a script filter that would list your saved folders and then when you select one, and moves all the items that were selected to the selected folder.

I'll take a look at getting this worked out for ya.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love this. currently using an automater app hidden in the library with an automater workflow to run ( and notify because it can :D) but I would love this workflow. Have been a powerpack user since early on in V1 and love alfred.

• 5 months later...

Hi David,

this is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to select files in finder (pathfinder) and then hit a hotkey, get the alfred folder selection (not a pre-defined list!) and then move the files in the selected folder.

I've tried to put it together myself, but failed ;-( Can you help?

Thanks and best regards!