Hi there, at work we have a folders structure that goes something light that:

- PROJECT NAME

- PROJECT NAME CITY NAME1

- PROJECT NAME CITY NAME2

- PROJECT NAME CITY NAME3

- PROJECT NAME CITY NAME4

- Etc.

And file names work the same way.

That means we have many folders and files starting with the same name.

When I use Alfred to search for a folder or file and it doesn't appear in the results and it doesn't appear in the 40 results displayed, how do I push Alfred to find it and make it appear in future searches?

Thank you for your help, I love how I keep discovering new use for Alfred, time after time.

Rad 

6 hours ago, Rad said:

how do I push Alfred to find it and make it appear in future searches?

Alfred—or at least its File Filters—prioritises results based on (a) your previous behaviour and (b) how recently the file/folder was opened. So generally, opening the file/folder will push it upwards in(to) Alfred's results.

This can be a real PITA in some situations, so if it happens a lot, you might consider writing workflows for specific cases.

Alternatively, you could also create a smart folder (saved search) for all folders in your projects directory and search it via Finder or my Smart Folders workflow. These don't limit number or age of results (the trade-off being speed), so while they may not work as rapidly in common cases, they shouldn't require you to go digging around in Finder to get Alfred to notice a folder. (You could also use the saved search or workflow as a backup to kick Alfred.)

Thanks for your detailed answer. 

10 hours ago, deanishe said:

Alfred—or at least its File Filters—prioritises results based on (a) your previous behaviour and (b) how recently the file/folder was opened. So generally, opening the file/folder will push it upwards in(to) Alfred's results.

Do you mean simply by navigating the Finder x times to the Folder, Alfred learns that I want to go there over time? Any idea of how many times one should do this before it starts appearing?

Thanks for the sf workflow, didn't know about it :)

Rad 

ps I used to use Quiksilver and you could "upvote" or "downvote" a result to push it up or down. Am I correct in thinking there's no such thing in Alfred?

4 hours ago, Rad said:

Do you mean simply by navigating the Finder x times to the Folder, Alfred learns that I want to go there over time?

No. Alfred's matching algorithm is a binary match/no-match, and it uses the "last access" time to rank results, so you're just doing that to make it the most recently-accessed folder and bump it up (or into) the results. You can then "train" Alfred to associate that item with a query (see below).

4 hours ago, Rad said:

ps I used to use Quiksilver and you could "upvote" or "downvote" a result to push it up or down. Am I correct in thinking there's no such thing in Alfred?

Alfred learns from your usage, so if you consistently action a result for a give query, Alfred learns to show that as the top result.

In my experience, this doesn't work reliably with File Filters, however. I believe Alfred applies ranking based on your usage (called Alfred's "knowledge") only after it has retrieved the raw search results, so if its "last access" ranking approach excludes the item you're looking for from the raw results, it isn't going to be there no matter how consistently you've trained Alfred.

There is no way to "downvote" results in Alfred. If Alfred thinks a result is a good match for a query, there's nothing you can do to tell it otherwise short of telling Alfred to ignore the item completely.

Edited by deanishe