Microsoft Edge

JimH

1 hour ago, sudopeople said:

I'm pretty sure this is how Safari and Chrome bookmarks are accessed under the hood.

No, Alfred is reading them directly from disk. AppleScript would be a poor choice for something like that: Apart from being very slow, it requires the application to be running.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:51 AM, Vero said:

If and when Edge, Brave or any browser, takes prevalence on macOS, we will consider supporting it, provided a legitimate, supported way to search bookmarks is available for the browser.

Workflows excel at filling the gap for features that are more fleeting or less stable, as users can continue to evolve their workflows to support changing apps or private APIs that could be taken away at any time.  

In Chinese Mainland, macOS users can access all features(like synchronizing user data) of Edge without a VPN, while it's impossible when using Chrome because of the GFW blocked majority of Google services. Therefore, Edge is becoming more and more popular in China after it turned to use Chromium kernel and it using less energy and less memory cost.

And China has a lot of people using Alfred, like me. I use Edge as my primary browser now, sometimes use Chrome, and rarely use Safari.

Although we can using some workflows to search Edge bookmarks, but it's more convenient if it's a built-in function in Alfred. And it's not difficult to implement in Alfred because Edge is sharing the same way of storing data with Chrome.

Edited by addEdgeBookmarkSearch

4 hours ago, addEdgeBookmarkSearch said:

because it has been a long time

Vero was unmistakably clear that it's because hardly anybody uses Edge on macOS, and that hasn't changed.

What exactly is so terrible about having to use a workflow to search your Edge bookmarks?

13 hours ago, addEdgeBookmarkSearch said:

I just wish a strategy change of the corp

This "corp" you speak of consists of two people, Andrew and myself. As I said in my earlier response, we very carefully consider every feature that is added to ensure that there is a true need for it, and that it'll be reliable and predictable into the future. 

As others have highlighted, there are very capable workflows for this purpose.

Cheers,
Vero

On 11/10/2021 at 6:37 AM, deanishe said:

What exactly is so terrible about having to use a workflow to search your Edge bookmarks?

I hate to type an EXTRA command or have to set an EXTRA keyboard shortcut before I reach the function. It's not elegant.

The workflow mentioned above can't search multi browsers' bookmarks concurrently. I'm trying to solve it. I'd be appreciative if somebody help me with it. I used to write some simple workflows and modify others' workflows to fit my need, but this work seems more difficult for me.

18 hours ago, Vero said:

This "corp" you speak of consists of two people, Andrew and myself. As I said in my earlier response, we very carefully consider every feature that is added to ensure that there is a true need for it, and that it'll be reliable and predictable into the future. 

Thanks for your brilliant work of building Alfred, you two guys and all members in this forum are doing great things.

9 hours ago, addEdgeBookmarkSearch said:

I'm trying to solve it. I'd be appreciative if somebody help me with it.

Then tell us what the actual problem is, instead of insisting on a specific solution.

All your particular wishes can be met by exporting your browser bookmarks to .webloc files and telling Alfred to include .weblocs and the directory they're in its default results. There's absolutely no need to try and force a rejected feature request back onto the table.

9 hours ago, addEdgeBookmarkSearch said:

but this work seems more difficult for me

It is. But how is asking the Alfred team to do it for you when they've already said "no" a dozen times the right approach?

Where does Edge keep its data in ~/Library/Application Support?

• 3 weeks later...

(my english is poor.)

U can link the Edge's Bookmarks to Chorme's folder,it works.

But U must install a chrome🤣

Use Terminal run this command.

step 1. install chrome

brew install --cask google-chrome

step 2. link edge's bookmarks to chrome

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/Default

mv Bookmarks  Bookmarks_233.bak

ln -s  ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft\ Edge/Default/Bookmarks  ./Bookmarks

Edited by ValSong

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kalaschnik said:

Unsurprisingly it works like a charm

It's definitely a great solution for anyone that doesn't actually use Chrome. IIRC, Chrome doesn't react well to another application changing its Bookmarks files. Alfred doesn't care, of course.

If you do use Chrome, I'd recommend creating a separate profile only for symlinking your Edge bookmarks to.

Edited by deanishe

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, danvy said:

Edge is actually head to head with Safari ;)

Desktop Browser Market Share Worldwide | Statcounter Global Stats

No, it isn't. Those stats include Windows. They are utterly meaningless as far as Alfred users go.

Everything you have said has already been addressed at length in this thread, so please read it.

Edited by deanishe

• 3 months later...

Uninstall Chrome and make a soft link to Edge. Execute these commands in terminal

mkdir -pv "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Google"

ln -s "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge" "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome"

Edited by akonliu