Search and add bookmarks to Raindrop.io

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, 

I keep running in to authentication issue, it used to work before but something seems to have changed and no longer works, I tried to remove the connected apps (raindrop.io) and added it back, still no luck, pls suggest

Thx, Hari

• 3 months later...

I'm new to Raindrop and this looks really good! I'm having some trouble getting authentication to work. When I trigger the workflow I do see the prompt to authenticate, but when I press enter to start authentication it seems to skip over it and goes into the save bookmark path. I'm using Safari on Big Sur, and tried with Chrome as well, but no luck. Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

32 minutes ago, tsieling said:

I'm having some trouble getting authentication to work. When I trigger the workflow I do see the prompt to authenticate, but when I press enter to start authentication it seems to skip over it and goes into the save bookmark path. I'm using Safari on Big Sur, and tried with Chrome as well, but no luck. Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

Hi @tsieling!

Could you try to start with searching for a bookmark instead of starting with saving?

It looks like there might be a problem with the authentication process if you try to save the first time you use the workflow instead of trying to search.

I will look into fixing this too, but try that for now and see if it works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, Davide said:

Hi, workflow doesn't work on my machines. It appears with the keyword but before I can hit enter the fallback list appears. Thanks for help!

I'm experiencing the same issue, which renders this workflow completely unusable. Would love to have it fixed so that I can jump directly to my bookmarks! :)

Hi @Davide & @xurc

I'm trying to understand exactly what goes wrong for you.

I guess thet you first open Alfred and type r anyway

Then I'm a bit unsure what happens. The expected behaviour is that:

1. If you just typ r, you will get a list from Alfred with suggestions based on that one letter, with the Raindrop default options somewhere in that list.

2. If you type r<space>, and nothing more, you will get options to either open Raindrop.io in a browser or to browse your bookmarks directly inside Alfred

3. If you type r<space>search query, you will search your Raindrop bookmarks for that search query, and you should get a list with bookmarks in a second or two.

What I am unsure of is if the fallback list you mention is the expected behaviour in (1) or (2) above, or if you are doing (3) and still get a fallback list, and in that case I wonder what alternatives you get in that fallback list so I can figure out what list this is and how this happened, so I can find a fix for it.

@Davide & @xurc

If you cloned the git repository and didn't make sure to also get the submodule that it includes, you would end up with something like what you are describing.

Could that be it?

If that's the reason you can fix it by going to the Raindrop.io workflow directory (right click the workflow in Alfred to find it) in the terminal and run these two commands there:

git submodule init

git submodule update

It is supposed to work without doing anything like that if it is installed by downloading and double clicking the .alfredworkflow file.

There is now a new version available!

The most visible change for most people will be that the icon is now updated to reflect Raindrop.io's change of logo.

Other than that, there is now support for the NAVER Whale browser (as requested by @memote), and there is a bug fix for the authentication mechanism that fixes issues that some users where experiencing.

@Davide & @xurc, could you try the new version and see if the problem you had might possibly be fixed with this update?

Hello @andreas.w , sorry for the delayed reply! I was under the impressions that I'd receive emails for forum notifications, but actually didn't receive any, for whatever reason. I just manually followed this thread so that I can provide more timely responses. I have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly that caused this issue, but it still persists after installing the 1.6 update.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:00 PM, andreas.w said:

What I am unsure of is if the fallback list you mention is the expected behaviour in (1) or (2) above, or if you are doing (3) and still get a fallback list

I get the fallback list in all three scenarios:

1. Only type "r". Two options from the Workflow show up in the list, Add a bookmark to Raindrop.io and Search your Raindrop.io bookmarks. The latter option appears only briefly and disappears quickly.
  2. Type "r<space>". The Search your Raindrop.io bookmarks option makes a brief appearance again and disappears quickly, leaving only the fallback list.
  3. Type "r<space><query>". Similar to (2), the workflow searches for bookmarks very briefly and then disappears.

I made a screen recording of the three scenarios and attached it to this post. Some clarifications regarding the recording:

• I downloaded the Workflow from Packal and didn't make any modifications to its content.
  • I authorized the Workflow with my Raindrop.io account before the recording.
  • The list containing DuckDuckGo and Wikipedia is my fallback list.
  • I currently do have an Apple Support link in my Raindrop.io bookmarks, so I assume the query Apple shouldn't return no results.
On 1/5/2021 at 12:01 AM, andreas.w said:

If you cloned the git repository and didn't make sure to also get the submodule that it includes

I didn't manually clone the git repo. I simply downloaded the .alfredworkflow file from Packal. I tried running the commands anyways but got this result:

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

But since I simply downloaded and double clicked the .alfredworkflow file to install the Workflow, I assume this is inconsequential.

I'm not yet capable of building such a complex Workflow and I really appreciate your hard work in bridging Raindrop.io and Alfred!

Raindrop.io Workflow.gif

I see some questions re: authentication but none of the answers apply in my case.  I have v1.6 of Search Raindrop.io installed.  When I type "r " I get prompted to authenticate with Raindrop.io.  I hit enter and am taken to Raindrop.io where I click on "Agree".  At that point, I am redirected to 127.0.0.1:11038/?code=<some code> and I get an error saying this site cannot be reached, connection refused.  This error occurs on all browsers.

I'm able to ping 127.0.0.1.  I suspect this is an issue on my end (since the workflow seems to work for others) so I'm just looking for suggestions on where to look to debug this issue.  Any advice appreciated. 

48 minutes ago, deanishe said:

That IP address is "localhost". It always means the machine you're using. If you're getting a "connection refused" error, the workflow's webserver isn't running.

Look in Alfred's debugger for a proper error message.

Exactly!

I can look at this problem, @AV8RDude, if you get the error message that you'll find in the debugger, as @deanishe said.

You could send the log messages you see in the debugger in a private message to me if you don't want to post it for everyone to see.

First open the debugger, as in the linked instructions, then make sure to do the same thing you did when the problem occurred, and then copy and send the log messages you see in the debugger.

I also think I would need the same thing from you, @xurc, to be able to find out what's going wrong in your case.

@andreas.w I took a few more simple steps (including turning off my local firewall, etc) but did not get anywhere.  Where would you like to to place one or more debug objects?  I'll place them, run my scenario, and then send you the information directly via private message.  No rush on my side ... appreciate any help offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andreas, 

first of all, thank you for putting in the work to create this workflow!

I think I am experiencing the same problem as @xurc and @Davide. Authentication worked out, but the search always goes back to the fallback of alfred.

I looked into the debugger and found 1 error and lots of similar warnings. First the warnings, then the requested data is returned from raindrop.io. But the script seems to be unable to read the data structure. 

The warnings are all a version of:

Warning: file_put_contents(icon_cache/k27.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/<path_to_alfred_preferences>/raindrop-common.php on line 139

There are different .png files failing.

The error message is as follows:

ERROR: Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] JSON error: JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set. in JSON:

The debugger tells me that the script failed in `Search Raindrop.io`

I save my Alfred preferences on Dropbox if that could be an issue. 

If you need more info, please let me know. 

thanks 

Mark 

Thanks @mark_h for reporting your issue, and thanks @deanishe for helping with solving it!

I have now also released version 1.6.1 that doesn't have this issue anymore, so hopefully your problems, @xurc and @Davide would also be fixed if you upgrade to this latest version.

Please get back if that still doesn't help for you.

Sorry for letting that problem get into the previous release.