Followed Help Article, But Still No Apps in Catalina

@tinjaw Which version of Alfred are you using? Please ensure you're using Alfred 4.0.8 from https://www.alfredapp.com and not an older version.

Please provide more details:

• Have you just installed Catalina or was it working fine in Catalina previously?
  • Have you rebuilt your Mac's metadata index as per the troubleshooting page? Did you then type "reload" into Alfred to refresh the app cache?

The more details you can provide, the more easily we'll be able to troubleshoot your issue :)

Cheers,
Vero

I has been 24 hours since I last touched it and still no applications showing up. I tried to "redo" all the permissions on the preferences page. All are checked except Automation. I cannot get Alfred to request Automation privileges. Could that be the issue?

@tinjaw No, it won't have anything to do with permissions.

Again, please rebuild your Mac's index by going to Alfred's Advanced preferences, clicking the Rebuild button, choosing to Delete the Spotlight V-100. Complete the process in Terminal. An hour later, type "reload" into Alfred and let me know how you get on. This fixes the issue in 99% of cases.

Cheers,
Vero

@tinjaw In that case, if you're on the right version, your search scope is correct, and you've rebuilt the index, we need to take a look at whether the metadata is correct.

Please install the Metadata Tool and drag in an app Alfred can't find:

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

Paste the output in your reply so that we can take a look at what the metadata for a given app contains.

Please also go to the Help tab, click the Diagnostics button and email the file to our info@ address (referencing this thread so I know who it's from)

Are you running - or have you run in the past - any database cleaners like Onyx? Are apps in the normal locations, on your primary drive, as one would expect, or do you have any kind of custom setup?

Cheers,
Vero

I think I found the issue. I so have a /System/Applications folder that has the default Apple apps in it. But I still have an /Applications folder (off root) and that has all my applications in it.

This computer was upgraded from Mojave. If that matters.

So, I will manually add the /Applications folder and see if that fixes the issue. Stand by.....

Last login: Fri Feb  7 07:34:59 on console
/Applications/Alfred\ 4.app/Contents/Frameworks/Alfred\ Framework.framework/Versions/A/Resources/reindexdel.sh ; exit;
➜  ~ /Applications/Alfred\ 4.app/Contents/Frameworks/Alfred\ Framework.framework/Versions/A/Resources/reindexdel.sh ; exit;

*    This script will reindex your metadata by    *
*      firstly deleting .Spotlight-V100 then      *
*   running the command 'sudo mdutil -E -i on /'  *
*         Indexing can take up to an hour         *
*     and Alfred won't work during this time.     *
*   You can see the progress of the reindexing    *
*      by performing a search in Spotlight.       *

Close this window to cancel, or press any key to continue... 

Attempting to delete .Spotlight-V100...

Password:

Requesting metadata reindex...

/:
	Indexing and searching disabled.

You can see the progress of the reindexing by performing a search in Spotlight

Press any key to finish...

[Process completed]

This doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't appear to have any effect. i.e. I can immediately use Spotlight Search and it doesn't find the stuff in /Applications.

32 minutes ago, tinjaw said:

Indexing and searching disabled.

Looks like you've disabled indexing on your Mac altogether; This means that if Spotlight is currently returning results, it's using a temporary cache, which will eventually expire. At that point, you won't get any results in Spotlight or Alfred.

Take a look at the first response to this post for guidelines on re-enabling indexing on your Mac:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/147841

Once your Mac's index is up and running again, type "reload" into Alfred to refresh the app cache, and you'll be good to go.

Cheers,
Vero