Alfred stopped finding files on Google Drive File Stream

I got a pretty honest answer from the Google support, I would like to share with you. Hopefully for others helpful.

Thank you for contacting me back, I was checking the information with my high level department, in this specific matter my best recommendation is to wait until Google releases a new update to improve the integration with the MacOS feature. Answering your last question we do not recommend to use the previous versions because the executable files for the previous versions are no longer available. Since the previous versions are deprecated, there are no updates for those, that means you could face incompatibility issues with the Google Drive web UI. we provided a feedback to our engineering team, in order to verify this particular situation with the new version. Keep in mind that sometimes the new versions take some time to be compatible with all the features in the operating systems. Let's try and use the current workarounds you found and you can keep tracking more details about the new version using this link:
https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2021/07/google-drive-backup-and-sync-transition.html

The link to the Google-Blog will explain what I explain in my last post.

It seems that the only solution is to wait for an update by Gooogle.

@Michal Bryxí regarding this blog post, you have time until October 1, 2021 to update. Plenty of time for Google to provide an update that solves the spotlight issue.

Only solution for me is to wait, or try the new solution @Vero explained with the Google API and an Alfred API, that sounds very interesting.

2 hours ago, Henry31 said:

It seems that the only solution is to wait for an update by Gooogle.

We've been waiting for Google to make GDFS work reliably with Spotlight indexing for years now…

I suspect a lot of the problems are on Apple's side, as no virtual FS seems to work reliably with macOS's indexing.

2 hours ago, deanishe said:

We've been waiting for Google to make GDFS work reliably with Spotlight indexing for years now…

To be honest, I did not have any problems with spotlight indexing and GDFS. But for me personally I think most of my files were "available offline", maybe that does the trick for me?

I'm also having this same issue. I used to use Dropbox, which never had any issues with Spotlight indexing/Alfred search. I switched to Google's "Shared Drives" feature via Google Workspace, which uses Google's new combined "Google Drive" app. 

I did put the following into Terminal and that seems to have fixed the issue, for now: 

mdutil -i on /Volumes/GoogleDrive

But reading other posts, I think that's a temporary fix. I also contacted Google. Here's what they said: 

They were notifying me that since Drive for desktop doesn't work with the actual files, locally, but with the cache information of them, Spotlight doesn't really index them. They are aware of this and the developers are working to better integrated Drive for desktop but as of now, it doesn't fully work. Your Terminal entry above is a workaround while our developers get the integration to work completely. There is a internal feature request for this and I have already added your domain to it to create some more demand for this to work.